• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

5% Shareholder Request for Information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5% Shareholder Request for Information

Hi,

I am a 5% shareholder in a uk limited company who have posted a huge loss this year for the first time since they incorporated in 2017. I suspect this is due to some poor financial decision making. I would like to make a request for as much information as I can. I have googled and also asked ChatGPT what I can ask for and it has come up with a template that reads as per below, is this absolutely everything that I can ask for, is there anything else? Obviously I want as much information as possible to understand what is going on, any help appreciated,

Dear [Recipient's Name],

Re: Request for Information as a Shareholder

I am writing to formally request information to which I am entitled as a 5% shareholder in [Company Name], a UK limited company. As per my rights under the Companies Act 2006, I would appreciate your prompt provision of the following documents and details:
    1. Annual Accounts: I request a copy of the company's latest annual financial statements, including the profit and loss statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement.
    2. Annual Return: Kindly provide a copy of the annual return submitted to Companies House, detailing the company's registered office, officers, and shareholders.
    3. Minutes of Meetings: Please supply the minutes of any general meetings or resolutions, as well as board meetings, pertaining to significant company matters.
    4. Share Register: I request an updated share register that reflects my current shareholding in the company.
    5. Company Constitution: Provide a copy of the company's articles of association, as amended to date.
    6. Director's Report: If applicable, furnish the director's report that accompanies the annual accounts.

I expect the requested information to be provided within the statutory time frame of one month from the date of this letter, in accordance with section 116 of the Companies Act 2006.

Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated, and I look forward to a timely response. If you require any further information or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me at [Your Phone Number] or [Your Email Address].

Jen

Tags: None

Have you looked for some of this on Companies House?

Comment

That's the thing about ChatGPT. It scrapes the internet, and has no means of verifying accuracy. Annual returns have not been required for several years, being replaced by pretty meaningless 'confirmation statements'.

You can view things that have been submitted to Companies House on CH website. This includes much of your list.

Otherwise there is no harm in what you have come up with.

As, a 5% shareholder you are in a weak position to influence the company. You are there for the dividends, if any, and any value if the company is sold.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

A further thought: is there a shareholders' agreement?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X