• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas- lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas- lighting

Hi..

I'm currently at the beginning of a dispute with BG..

Long story short- I (my company) entered into an agreement for BG to supply me with electricity for 3 years..4 months ago, BG rang me to advise that because my company was insolvent they had ceased the contract and had opened up another account for me,a domestic account..of course these prices were double and after ringing them it was clearly established that when I gave them my company name initially..they looked up the wrong company and attached it to my file.

(I have to add that the company names were the same and in the same town the reason why they where the same was because I shortened mine to them to make matters easier ..)

So..when the "wrong company" with the same name dissolved their company, BG rang me to advise the contract was null and void..

Here is where it gets wierd.. at the time the company with the same name,from the same town was dissolved I WAS ACTUALLY dissolving mine.. !! So,thats why I thought nothing of it!!.

It was only through ring and asking questions to BG that it came to light they has attached the wrong g company to me...

so....

Firstly..
    I believe there isnt an actual legal contract existing due to them setting up my account with some other company.

2ndly,

They stated I had give them a final reading..which I hadn't.. they stated they was sending me a final bill..which they didn't and have lumped in all the charges from the last reading with the higher prices on the new account..

They are now chasing 2k and are threatening with debts collecters..
    (can I suspend this action if amount is disputed)

The letrer they have finally sent has stated its been send to final assessment department..there's nothing else they will do..

My thoughts are..

to issue, as they carried out the "due diligence " and credit checks with wrong company and have ran my account on the information given from a different company house number and Directors...

Any advice appreciated..
    Tags: None

Are BG chasing you personally? If so, on what basis?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

BG are chasing me as Director...the company is now dissolved. I've requested SARbut of course, they've refused as it's a ltd company...I've responded by asking for a SAR for the period where they cancelled the contract and put me on a personal account, charging me double..

I received a letter from them thanking me for a final reading for ltd company account and advised that a final bill would follow..however, I never gave them a final reading therefore it cannot be determined when the old charges started and the new account (with double costs) came into force.

I've requested today full breakdown of costs for new accounts, a final bill from old accounts.

Have you any thoughts on the validity of the original contract if they had the wrong company and company number at their end of the agreement?

Is there anyway I could force them to hand over account details, telephone conversations and administrative notes if its a ltd company.

Ombudsman have just said I should father all information and send to them..

ICO have advised that there's nothing they can do canits a ltd company account..

So,probably only legal redress available...

Comment

Ask them on what basis they feel able to chase you as director.

Something here doesn't add up. Did you give a personal guarantee?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

This is last correspondence I received
          Attached Files

Comment

Well that explains it. They say you asked them to open a new account inyour name.

Comment

But that's not true...After speaking to Companies House, they advised that BG will apply for any changes on the Companies House registry on a particular company that they are notified...but because BG had attached the wrong company to my acct..when "the wrong company " dissolved BG was notified and rang me and kept saying my company had gone into insolvency..I kept repeating that my company was being shut down but wasn't insolvent...the customer adviser then ran a check on Companies House (whilst I was on the phone) and she started to read the Directors name and the related addresses.. none of these had anything to do with me.. it was the wrong company!

with regards to a new account, I received a call from BG and they said they needed another name to put on the account as my company has gone into insolvency...No further explanation..I did not ask them..I gave them my name but said my company wasn't insolvent...it wasn't made clear what was going on...

Comment

The problem I have is that they won't provide all the history and data they have relating to this, as a S.A.R is not valid for ltd Companies...

Comment

I now have it confirmed that BG have changed the closed business account name from that of the "wrong company name and Co.registration number to my co.number ( the one the account should have been opened with)

Surely without a bilateral contract agreement this cannot be legal?

Comment

No interest?????

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X