• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A 2-partner biz, one partner now has cancer but nothing in contract re sick pay/death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2-partner biz, one partner now has cancer but nothing in contract re sick pay/death

Hello Everyone
    My friend is a parter/director in small (T/O about £125K) lettings business, with her having been the 'active' partner who has spent last 10 years building up the business. But tragically she has been told she has limited time left due to many cancers, she's just 66, bless her. Thing is, the contract she has with her partner doesn't say anything about being able to pass her 50% share of the business on to, say, her son, or being able to sell it to a third party. There's nothing about what happens in the event of death either, except for one line, which may cover it, that says : “The Director shall have no claims in respect of cessation of office”. So does this mean when she passes she will no longer be able to perform her duties and will effectively give over her share to her partner? Nor is there anything in the contract about sick pay (it was drafted by a reputable firm not self-created) but she's wondering if she would be entitled to statutory sick pay IF the business could afford to pay it? She's trying to get her affairs in order. She's been told she has about 6 months but that that could be extendeed a bit if the chemo works. Life is so hard for some people. Thanks for any pointers.
    Tags: None

Let's start with some basics.

Is this business a partnership or a limited company?

What is the document from which you quoted?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks, Atticus. It's a limited company and I quotes from legal areement signed by both directors.

Comment

It would seem that the partners (Directors of the Ltd Company) each hold 50% share. Unless there are restrictions with the contract regarding sale of shares, then it may be that your friend could legally sell or gift her shares to whoever she wished.

The other Director could retain the shares if they were purchased by him?

It may be best to seek professional advice with the actual contract on this

Comment

Does your friend have shares in the company? If so, is Sam's 50% assumption correct?

Sami is correct that shares are an asset that can be sold or transferred, subject to the company's articles of association and the shareholders agreement. The latter may contain provisions relating to the transfer of shares, for example giving the other shareholders a right of first refusal.

How is your friend paid: salary or dividends?
          Last edited by atticus; 30th October 2022, 08:05:AM.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
            It would seem that the partners (Directors of the Ltd Company) each hold 50% share. Unless there are restrictions with the contract regarding sale of shares, then it may be that your friend could legally sell or gift her shares to whoever she wished.

The other Director could retain the shares if they were purchased by him?

It may be best to seek professional advice with the actual contract on this
            Thank you, Sam, good suggestion. I'll ask her to check paperwork to see if just 50-50 share split.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Does your friend have shares in the company? If so, is Sam's 50% assumption correct?

Sami is correct that shares are an asset that can be sold or transferred, subject to the company's articles of association and the shareholders agreement. The latter may contain provisions relating to the transfer of shares, for example giving the other shareholders a right of first refusal.

Thanks vm, Atticus. I'm not sure how she's paid. I think she prob needs to get professional advice, as looks like this could get quite complicated, but I'll pass on your questions, which will be useful in guiding her as to what she needs to check.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post

Hi again Atticus, I just had a quick look at Companies House and her partner set up the company in 2012 so only his name mentined in Articles, and then she was made a director. And as at 2016 looks like she had 50 shares, with her and his wife having the other 50.
                Last edited by Vitamin33; 30th October 2022, 12:45:PM.

Comment

The section from the agreement appears to relate only to the compenstion whih might accompany the cessation of directorship. That has no overriding connection with share ownership. Attis right - such arrangements are often governed y a shareholders' agreement, but since they can be expensive they are often not created.
                  The Articles can also govern what happens on the death of a shareholder, but if all else is silent, the shares pass into the estate.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
                    The section from the agreement appears to relate only to the compenstion whih might accompany the cessation of directorship. That has no overriding connection with share ownership. Attis right - such arrangements are often governed y a shareholders' agreement, but since they can be expensive they are often not created.
                    The Articles can also govern what happens on the death of a shareholder, but if all else is silent, the shares pass into the estate.
                    Thank you Dslippy, I saw her today and she's going to get some advice. I'll mention to her about share agreement, but money was tight so maybe you're right and one doesn't exist.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X