• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sale of Business - What rights do I have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale of Business - What rights do I have?

What rights do I have to not accept an offer made on my business that I accepted on a private message. Their acceptance on the business was on condition the lease was suitable for them - they have been in talks with the landlord but has not been able to come to an agreement yet. I've not been happy with the way things have been progressing and wondered where I stood legally?
    Tags: None

I don't suppose you used the phrase "subject to contract"?

Was the condition about the lease stated in the exchange of messages?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't use that phrase unfortunately.
      The condition about the lease was mentioned by the other party - more about if they could come to an agreement about it they would accept. But as there's now some dispute about them wanting to change terms in the lease and the landlord won't change the lease - I just don't have a great feeling about it. And I wouldn't want to cause the landlord hassle down the line as we do have a good relationship

Comment

Were the texts signed? I think it unlikely that texts satisfied the statutry requirements for sale and purchasse of land

Comment

They weren't signed, it was just on messenger. Sorry for the lack of clarification - it's the sale of a business in a rented property

Comment

dslippy there was a case a year or 2 back in which an email was deemed to be signed by the party for this purpose. That is not to say every email or message will meet the necessary conditions.

To the OP: why not ask the other party if they would like to withdraw, given the issues with the lease.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

atticus thanks so much. Yes I suppose this is possible. My worry with this is they would say we wish to continue and then I would have to carry on with the sale. Better than not knowing I suppose.
              If I declined the offer at this stage based on not being happy with the current situation could they come back at me? Many thanks

Comment

I could not answer that without seeing all relevant communications.

Comment

Thank you, I totally understand

Comment

Was this an exchange of emails ot texts?
                    A contract for the sale of an interest in land is not effective in law unless it is in writing and is signed by both parties, or each party hsa signed and delvered a matching copy.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X