• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Penalties for trading without pedlars certificate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HunterBargan View Post

I dont really understand that article. But I do remember Brandon telling me it was a local bill only passed in 1996 or something

But I dont see anywhere in it which states trading is forbiden with a peelers certificate
    The article is an in depth explanation of the legislation (which led to the fact sheet/ guide lines referred to in post 12) and includes pointers for a defence

Trading is not forbidden in the City of Westminster if you hold a pedlar's certificate and trade by going from house to house and trading as you travel between the houses in the way that is set out in the Pedlars Act.
    However plod and some council officials don't seem to recognise this

Comment

I dont understand the term "by going from house to house and trading as you travel between the houses"
      Is that supposed to imply selling door to door as opposed to selling on the streets. As the term I have seen before is "a pedlar trading from town to town"

Comment

Pedlars Act 1871 defines the term “pedlar” as: " any hawker, pedlar, petty chapman, tinker, caster of metals, F1... or other person who, without any horse or other beast bearing or drawing burden, travels and trades on foot and goes from town to town or to other men’s houses, carrying to sell or exposing for sale any goods, wares, or merchandise, or procuring orders for goods, wares, or merchandise immediately to be delivered"

The City of Westminster Act states "The following are not street trading,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, trading by a person acting as a pedlar under the authority of a pedlar’s certificate under the [1871 c. 96.] Pedlars Act 1871, if the trading is carried out only by means of visits from house to house.

Now a Pedlar's certificate (which is valid UK wide) permits trading whilst travelling from town to town or to other men's houses.
        The CoW Act permits trading under the authority of the certificate as long as it is done whilst travelling house to house. (There is no point mentioning town to town if dealing with the City of Westminster.

The real point is that the authorities were trying to prevent unlicensed traders setting up a pitch and then waving a pedlar's certificate if they were challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

The real point is that the authorities were trying to prevent unlicensed traders setting up a pitch and then waving a pedlar's certificate if they were challenged.
          So are you saying that they expect you to have a street traders licence and not just a pedlars cirtificate if carry out acts classed as pedaling?

Comment

I'm not second guessing them, just pointing out what the requirements are.
            My understanding is that as a pedlar your certificate does not permit you to trade from a fixed pitch or stall.

Comment

As a side note, it might be an idea to get everything you need, get a 'barcode tattoo' if that's what you have to do.

It can't be great for business 'ducking and diving' with law enforcement, especially in the current circumstances.

Comment

Bar code tattoo?

Comment

Originally posted by HunterBargan View Post
                  Bar code tattoo?
                  Just an illustration, i.e. do whatever it takes, so the police don't stop you from conducting your day to day business. ***Don't get a 'Barcode Tattoo***

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X