• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer law on repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer law on repair

Hi I run an IT business and we do laptop/ PC repair. I have had a stange issue where replaced some RAM for a customer and the Computer then didnt boot. we tried everything we could think of to get the computer to boot agian but nothing worked we told the customer what had happened and we were ordering a new board, We then replaced the Main Board as we thought that was the issue, when we booted the laptop it was working fine for about 4 hrs so we called the customer to collect and when we tried to boot the laptop to show the client it then displayed the same symptoms so we tried again to fix the issue whilst the customer waited the customer the demanded to take the laptop away over the weekend. We then recieved an email on the saturday asking what were going to do about it and we said we needed to send the RAM and the motherboard to the suppliers to see what had happened and even said if we cannot fix it we will replace the laptop with a like for like machine, he then accused us of not knowing what we are doing etc and threatend court action without giving us the chance to rectify the issue. Can someone advise what we should do? I can send the email thread etc if required.
    Tags: None

First of all, unless the computer is new or almost new, they will certainly not be entitled to a like for like replacement or equivalent cash amount.

If the laptop was working before you changed the RAM then the onus is on you to show that the errors or non-boot issues were not caused by you whilst in your possession. I guess, like anything goods or electrical, some things just burn out no matter what you do and if the laptop is really old or towards the end of its life, then it may be possible that whatever you did meant it simply gave up. Might be worth investigating.

If the customer is threatening legal action then they should follow the pre-action protocols before issuing a claim. I say should, because most consumers are not well versed in the legal process so will likely just issue a claim.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, there is an option for repeat performance or price reduction where services are engaged, however they are also entitled to other legal remedies too. Sounds like the customer has asked for repeat performance by demanding to take the laptop away over the weekend, and if it requires further time to investigate then that's just how the cookie crumbles. However, repeat performance should be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience to the customer.

Couple of options:

1. Argue that the customer has agreed to repeat performance, and that you need to wait until the report/results come back. To avoid causing inconvenience, you could offer a loan computer.

2. Pay the market value of the laptop and be done with it.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      First of all, unless the computer is new or almost new, they will certainly not be entitled to a like for like replacement or equivalent cash amount.

If the laptop was working before you changed the RAM then the onus is on you to show that the errors or non-boot issues were not caused by you whilst in your possession. I guess, like anything goods or electrical, some things just burn out no matter what you do and if the laptop is really old or towards the end of its life, then it may be possible that whatever you did meant it simply gave up. Might be worth investigating.

If the customer is threatening legal action then they should follow the pre-action protocols before issuing a claim. I say should, because most consumers are not well versed in the legal process so will likely just issue a claim.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, there is an option for repeat performance or price reduction where services are engaged, however they are also entitled to other legal remedies too. Sounds like the customer has asked for repeat performance by demanding to take the laptop away over the weekend, and if it requires further time to investigate then that's just how the cookie crumbles. However, repeat performance should be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience to the customer.

Couple of options:

1. Argue that the customer has agreed to repeat performance, and that you need to wait until the report/results come back. To avoid causing inconvenience, you could offer a loan computer.

2. Pay the market value of the laptop and be done with it.
      Hi the problem i have is he didnt give us reasonable time to fix the issue by Sunday afternoon he had already taken it to someone else without letting us try and rectify the issue or investigate we fully refunded his deposit too.

Comment

HI Rob

is it possible to send you the email thread by private message?

Comment

Sorry I don't do private help, everything is done in the open.

If the customer took the laptop away without affording you an opportunity to investigate and resolve the problem then that will be your line of defence. Customer's have to be reasonable too and it looks like this customer wasn't, rather he was impatient. I think if it went to court, I'm sure a judge would agree with that view too and therefore it would be difficult to ascertain what (if any) liability attaches to you and then come up with a compensatory figure.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
            Sorry I don't do private help, everything is done in the open.

If the customer took the laptop away without affording you an opportunity to investigate and resolve the problem then that will be your line of defence. Customer's have to be reasonable too and it looks like this customer wasn't, rather he was impatient. I think if it went to court, I'm sure a judge would agree with that view too and therefore it would be difficult to ascertain what (if any) liability attaches to you and then come up with a compensatory figure.
            Thanks for the advice i will blank out the personal details and post here tomorrow if thats ok?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X