• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vetting Legal Professionals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetting Legal Professionals

In terms of vetting legal professionals, by this i mean people who are qualified/regulated in giving legal advice. How would i sufficiently vet someone so that I can sufficiently confirm who they are and are able to practice/give advice. This vetting procedure would need to sufficient to remove all liability from occuring from not vetting efficiently.

Would a practice certificate with 2 forms of identification be enough to do so?

Thanks in advance.
    The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by james_law View Post
    In terms of vetting legal professionals, by this i mean people who are qualified/regulated in giving legal advice. How would i sufficiently vet someone so that I can sufficiently confirm who they are and are able to practice/give advice. This vetting procedure would need to sufficient to remove all liability from occuring from not vetting efficiently.

Would a practice certificate with 2 forms of identification be enough to do so?

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry but vetting regulated professionals? what are you looking to do here? Employ them? or instruct them? or what. clarity would help
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I'm not looking to employ them but make sure that they are who they say they are and that they are a legal professional that can give valid advice.
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I'm not looking to employ them but make sure that they are who they say they are and that they are a legal professional that can give valid advice.
        Right so youre not looking at an employment context, if thats the case then if they work for a firm regulated by the BAR council, or the SRA, then theres a good chance they will be above board.

I must say its a little tricky to answer posts like this when the motive is unclear
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Right so youre not looking at an employment context, if thats the case then if they work for a firm regulated by the BAR council, or the SRA, then theres a good chance they will be above board.

I must say its a little tricky to answer posts like this when the motive is unclear
          I know i apologise for not disclosing motive. Its more to do with individuals signing up to a website and making sure they are qualified to give advice. Its more about the individual and if they are qualified to give advice.

Comment

I know i apologise for not disclosing motive. Its more to do with individuals signing up to a website and making sure they are qualified to give advice. Its more about the individual and if they are qualified to give advice.
            If it relates to getting legal advice in those circumstances my best advice to you would be dont, go to a lawyer, one regulated by the Bar or CILEX or SRA, you are as safe as you can be then

Comment

So if you only want individuals who are qualified to give legal advice to sign up to a website then you would contractualise that and make it part of the conditions of signing up (important terms like these ought to be made prominent). If you are worried that those signing up may not be who they say they are, then you should ask them to provide evidence of their quialifications prior to becoming a member e.g. a valid practising certificate and barrister equivalent.

You can verify them by going to the SRAs find a solicitor or the Barristers' Register.

That said, you should consider what you mean by individuals qualified to give advice. Does that mean qualified solicitors and barristers only, or does that extend to those who have qualified through the CILEX route? What about those who are not legally qualified but have extensive knowledge in that particular subject area e.g. surveyors, accountants, compliance officers etc.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                So if you only want individuals who are qualified to give legal advice to sign up to a website then you would contractualise that and make it part of the conditions of signing up (important terms like these ought to be made prominent). If you are worried that those signing up may not be who they say they are, then you should ask them to provide evidence of their quialifications prior to becoming a member e.g. a valid practising certificate and barrister equivalent.

You can verify them by going to the SRAs find a solicitor or the Barristers' Register.

That said, you should consider what you mean by individuals qualified to give advice. Does that mean qualified solicitors and barristers only, or does that extend to those who have qualified through the CILEX route? What about those who are not legally qualified but have extensive knowledge in that particular subject area e.g. surveyors, accountants, compliance officers etc.
                This pretty much clears up what I was thinking and needed answering. In terms of other ''individuals qualified to give advice'' it very much stays in the legal sector and is not opened up to experts in fields so I dont need to consider that. It would be just for barristers and solicitors, and I would need to look into the cilex qualification and if they can give legally give advice.

Comment

This pretty much clears up what I was thinking and needed answering. In terms of other ''individuals qualified to give advice'' it very much stays in the legal sector and is not opened up to experts in fields so I dont need to consider that. It would be just for barristers and solicitors, and I would need to look into the cilex qualification and if they can give legally give advice.
                  A member of CILEX can hold rights of audience, can appear in the County Court , can conduct litigation and can run their own law firm.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

A member of CILEX can hold rights of audience, can appear in the County Court , can conduct litigation and can run their own law firm.
                    So does this include being able to give advice? And if so, they could be sued for giving negligent advice.

Comment

So does this include being able to give advice? And if so, they could be sued for giving negligent advice.
                      yes, arguably, any one who gives advice in such circumstances can be sued if they are negligent

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X