• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Responding to pre-action correspondence relating to debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responding to pre-action correspondence relating to debt

Hi all,

I am trying to help a my father who is struggling with debt. Due to unforeseen circumstances, he is unable to pay for the work the was carried out in his home. The sole trader's wife is now threatening him with legal action and a small claim valued at around £5,000.

My father was owed money, which hasn't been paid to him, so hence the difficult position he is now in. I do think, however, it was unwise of my father to agree to the work in these circumstances.

He has always been very engaging with the individual who has carried out the work, but they are demanding he pays the amount owing in full by early January or face legal action. It appears the other side have not complied with the pre-action protocol for debt claims.

I have told him to get some advice, which he has got - he was not told to pay anything due to his circumstances, or make token payments/repayments.

I am wondering how best to respond to the threatening e-mails he has been receiving. I have told him to respond by setting out his income and expenditure and his current bank balance. He is able to make a token payment of around £1,000, as his daughter-in-law has recently lent this to him.

If he makes a reasonable offer/repayment plan is it fair to say there is no cause for action, therefore giving him grounds to strike out any claim that brought against him by the sole trader?

Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: debt advice

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X