• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Card Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Debt

I have a credit card debt that was being handled by a collection agency. I didn't pay for a couple of years and then started getting calls from an attorneys office about it. This was in Jan of '07. I sent them a payment o $25 then. Recently I started receiving solicitation letters from other attorneys saying that someone was attempting to sue me and that they wanted to represent me. So I went to the county clerk's office and picked up a copy of the complaint. I still have not been served. They had one amount on the complaint and said that I was not responsible for court fees. So my husband has a friend that is an attorney and he contacted them to find out what was going on. They said that I am responsible for the full debt and by making payment in Jan '07 I acknowledged it. So I called them the other day and the representative gave me a higher amount and included court costs and late fees, etc. My first question is can they change the amount that was on the complaint even though technically I haven't been served?
    Secondly, the original collection agency sent me a letter a long time ago wanting to negotiate the amount and have me make payments on a much lesser amount. I didn't respond at the time and now want to know if there is a way to get this lawyers office to reduce it to that amount. My husband's friend is a criminal attorney and doesn't feel comfortable handling this matter so he recommended someone else who wants to charge a $250 consultation fee just to discuss it.
    Last question. Can I ask them for a full accounting record that will show all of my charges, and all of the interest etc?

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X