• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Thames Water - default confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thames Water - default confusion

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well. I’d be very grateful for any advice or information please and will try to keep this brief!

I have been dealing with Thames Water trying to have a default removed from my account for the best part of 6 months. Initially they agreed via email it was incorrect caused by a glitch and would be removed. Since then they have given three different reasons as to why it isn’t incorrect.

I was given a final bill and contacted Thames water to explain I would struggle to pay it. They had been overcharging me for years using a rateable area average and hadn’t advised me I could request a meter. I was paying on average £100pm for water as a single person living in a one bedroom flat. They told me to apply for help which I did but unfortunately wasn’t able to get any.

On February 3rd 2020 Thames water issued me a Notice of Further action for a final bill that advised if a payment isn’t made within 28 days they would register a default.

A few days later I received a letter from Moriarty Law collections company saying Thames water had instructed them to collect payment for the final bill and so to contact them to arrange a payment plan.

I did this and made my first payment on February 26th 2020, setting up a continuous arrangement to pay with them. Using these dates I believed I had sorted within 28 days so didn’t worry about a default.

Thames water registered a default on my credit report on March 3rd 2020. Thames water are saying the default is justified because while I did make payment within the final notice time period I didn’t call them to let them know.

I was under the impression that the collection agency Moriarty Law were now dealing with it and wasn’t aware that I needed to let Thames know as Moriarty report to them.

It’s quite possible this was just naivety on my part and what they are saying is correct and fair but it doesn’t feel it. I’d love to hear the opinions of others to know whether this is worth continuing to fight or if it’s a lost cause of my own doing.

I’m hoping to start a mortgage application shortly and this is making it a lot harder which is such a shame as I spent a long time trying to build up my credit over the past years.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X