• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

M&S shop ban

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M&S shop ban

Hi, first time posting on here so no clue if this is going to the right place- lol.

today while shopping at M&S I picked up a piece of clothing for my daughter and put it on my pram handle while I picked up some other items from around the shop. I went into the food hall and bought some items from there and totally, genuinely forgot about the T-shirt I had clipped onto the pram. I was in the store for about half an hour and with a newborn baby this feels like an eternity so the tshirt I had put there completely slipped my mind. I walked out of the store and stood outside the store for about 2 minutes while on a phone call, when I was approached by a security guard asking if I had paid for the clothing item. I ended the phone call straight away and sincerely, whole heartedly apologised, admitting I hadn’t paid for it and it was an honest mistake. He said he would have to take action as it was classed as shoplifting. I agreed that he needed to follow procedure, what ever that may be, and was totally understanding of what ever actions he needed to take, and I fully cooperated. This situation is so far from anything I’ve ever been involved with before, and is most definitely not in me as a person to ever “shoplift” or engage in any unlawful activity whatsoever. I appreciate most people would say the same that it was a mistake and I appreciate the staff at the store are none the wiser to me as a person and can’t take my word for it being a mistake, but I hoped some leniency would come into play with how apologetic I was, and fully willing to cooperate with any issues. To be honest, I expected to be taken in the store, given an opportunity to purchase the item and given maybe a warning of the issue, but I was taken through the store by the security guard to a back room with the manager and another member of staff as requested by the security guard and was totally embarrassed in the process of doing so. I pleaded of the genuine mistake and the managers response was instructing the security guard to “just put it through as shoplifting” despite my distressed pleading of it being a huge mistake. I was given a letter, asked for identification, my name, address and use of my social media (?) to verify I was who I said I was, and was told I am now banned from M&S as a retailer without any consideration for my point of view. I was given no other information on if there were any further actions being taken and asked to leave immediately.
    I totally understand it is my word against theirs, and it’s procedures they must follow, and I wouldn’t have stepped in the way of them following those procedures, but I felt so unfairly approached in the whole situation and I am genuinely so upset and embarrassed by it all. This is not in my character at all and I am very worried about it, hence I am seeking help online. If anyone knows of what will come of the situation or anything I can do to lessen the repercussions please let me know!
    I am totally embarrassed by the mistake and am so humiliated by the whole situation.
    for the record, the security guard was polite and supportive and when I was pleading that I was so sorry and it was a mistake he was replying “I know love, I can tell that”. In hindsight I should have stayed and asked more questions on if anything more will come of the situation, but I was so upset and in shock I didn’t, I just left.
    thank you in advance for any advice
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X