• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal action against a family member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal action against a family member

I was wondering how likely I would be able to claim the money for a replacement (or at least the repair) of my laptop.

Roughly three weeks ago my cousin and I had a disagreement. Since he had made a mess of the living room, been asked to clear it by his sister (although younger she asked politely), he refused. Some time passed and I got up and said we should clear the living room, I do my side, he does the rest. I then jokingly attempted to take his phone of him which he then retaliated by biting my arm (which is my reasoning for not giving his phone back to him immediately, since I was wanting an apology for the biting).

Before I gave his phone back to me, he threw and damaged a fan which no longer works and he also picked up my laptop (£1,000 when I bought it) and threw it on the ground. The laptop's screen casing has been broken & the laptop has been chipped, showing the internal hardware. I'm not sure how much internal damage had been done because (although the speed was somewhat slower) all was fine. I was going to get it repaired after lockdown.

Two days a go I went to use my laptop again but now the screen is completely unusable. I know that, had the laptop not of been violently thrown onto the floor in rage, my screen would have been perfectly okay, since it was in a good condition minus scratches on the body.

He has since threaten to assault me, because I took him off the family Spotify account as he has refused to pay for the damage and he has since said he "will never, ever pay for anything to do with the laptop". His behaviour is not a single incident but something he continues to have done for many years, with my aunt in particular feeling powerless when he does react in this way. Frankly, he is a bully.

Could anyone give some advice as to if I have a case or not. Whilst I know I am not completely guilt-free (after running away with his phone and taking the phone, even as a joke or not) I would argue his reaction is grossly unacceptable and over the top, especially since I returned the phone without any evidence I touched it (as he would have expected).Many thanks.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X