• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell chasing debt help! 3 months from statute barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell chasing debt help! 3 months from statute barred

This may be long, complicated and I apologise for my spelling in advance.

My husband was made redundant in 2009 and ran up gas debt with British Gas.
    They fit a payment meter which would take money towards the debt each top up.
    In 2011 we moved home and moved the debt to the new house where again the fit meters and we where paying. From there we moved again in 2014 and finally the last time in 2015.
    The whole time we where with British Gas Pre payment meters paying off debt.

In 2018 I decided to look at the debt remaining on the meter as we had been paying so long. It said £0.00 so I arranged to switch to a new company. (big mistake).

After switching British gas wrote to me with a £2000 bill claiming they didn't take the money from the top ups. But each time we topped up money went somewhere. We asked them to look onto it but they knocked off some as a good will jesture and that was it. We never found where the money went and they wouldn't listen to us.

​​​​​​They have now passed the debt onto Lowell, the debt is from 17/07/2014 so I assume before we moned for the third time. They have knocked it down to £950.

My argument is that British gas made the mistake with the account not once but twice by not setting up the repaymnets and then waited years to tell us we owed this money. It seems unreasonable that they didn't write to us in all those years to tell us. I don't think they knew until we left that it was even owed.

​​​​​It is 3 month shy of statute barred.

What can I do? I've asked them to prove that I owe the debt but I just get back the final bill in response. I tried to explain that the money had been paid over the years and that British Gas have lost it. But I can't prove it because the meter doesn't give receipts! If I had known I'd have filmed it taking the money.

We are trying to get a mortgage next year so I could do without a ccj and I don't really want it showing as monthly payments because it won't look good. But can't afford to pay it off at once because we are low income.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Thanks Becky.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X