• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My sister stole mums death insurance and didn’t even talk to me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sister stole mums death insurance and didn’t even talk to me

Hi

My Mum passed away in 2005 after a tragic car accident while she was on holiday. Mum had accidental death insurance which only I knew about and shared with my sisters thinking we would stick together as Mum was in a coma and had a severe brain injury. One of my younger sisters travelled back to the UK and claimed the insurance without telling me, and when I got back to the UK myself from burying mum I claimed the insurance only to find out it had already been claimed. Now because the policy had been claimed twice the insurance company ( Stonebridge International Insurance), who told me that the insurance policy was £500,000 for my deceased mum and £50,000 per child, were already suspicious and decided to play us around. I provided all documents requested by them but they just came up with pointless excuses not to pay. It wasn’t until much later my youngest sister advised me that she wanted to get a lawyer involved who would be an expert in this field. I agreed and gave my sister access to all the documents. I asked my sister now and then if she had heard anything, she would always reply “ No “. In 2015 I started work with my youngest sister where she requested some documents relating to my mums death, I trusted her so gave her what she requested. Around three months later the job was not working out so I left, It is now 2016 almost six months had passed since she last requested documents off me but nothing about the claim. I started to get very suspicious and called the insurance company who said the insurance policy was cancelled in 2012, but they had no details of the payout, or why the policy had been cancelled. When I asked my sister about this she made an excuse of calling me back but never did. It has been three years since I have spoken to her. I decided to involve a financial Ombudsman. The ombudsman has been very helpful but has had no luck. Just very recently a cousin told me that my youngest sister had claimed the money £50,000 around 2016,and shared it out with my other sisters. Myself and my husband spent time and money to get every document we could relating to my mums death insurance and when I trusted my family ( my sister ) the most as I never hid a thing from them about mums insurance policy yet she didn’t give me a second thought.

My question is if I can get help from a lawyer to find out if the payout has been made to my sister, as the financial Ombudsman who was helping me said Stonebridge have no details of the policy, they told me over the phone a it had been cancelled in 2012 but I was told my sister got the payout in 2016. I can’t understand that the only way a policy can be cancelled is if it has been claimed. Stonebridge insurance have also told the ombudsman that they keep records of paid out policies for at least ten years. Even if the policy was cancelled in 2012 as they told me in 2016 they still should have a record of it as the deadline would be 2021.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X