• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to get into logistics and supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get into logistics and supply

As retailers look to efficient logistics to protect their slender profits, good graduates can quickly gain management jobs
    The logistics and supply chain management sector, as with most areas of industry, has been hit by the downturn. Yet it has also weathered the storm better than many, as retailers look to efficient logistics functions – be it their own or third-party suppliers – to protect what slender profit margins remain. Graduates equipped with strong operational skills and a strategic understanding of industry trends could find themselves set for a long-haul career.
    Getting in

Dr Riccardo Mogre, director of undergraduate logistics programmes, Hull University Business School
    Our Logistics Institute has world-class facilities and staff who teach more than just the foundations of logistics and supply chain management. Students learn all aspects, from inventory and transport management to procurement and supply chain management, using sophisticated modelling/design tools and software.
    Logistics is a key industry in the Humber region so there is no shortage of case studies, real-world projects and site visits to bring the subject to life. All undergraduates have the opportunity to take a professional placement year in industry or study abroad for one year in our partner institutions.
    Our BSc logistics is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, so students can take advantage of membership and get a head start on career-enhancing qualifications. It also has close links to the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals.
    Getting on

Graham Smith, senior business manager, Hays Procurement & Supply Chain recruitment
    There are far more logistics degree courses around and that's recognition of how the sector now drives competitive advantage. Employers look for trainees who can combine operational abilities with commercial or strategic knowhow – they are the ones who will drive future change. They really value graduates who specifically target the industry and if you've got your head screwed on and are quite practical, you can gain quite a lot of responsibility in a relatively short time. I've seen good graduates go from earning £25k initially to £50k within four or five years.
    View from the inside

Nick Hodgson, supply chain graduate trainee, Federal-Mogul
    Federal-Mogul supplies automotive parts to vehicle manufacturers and it also has an after-market line. Since I started in November 2010, I've been rotated round our different UK sites and doing projects on internal supply chain problems, trying to improve and add value to real-life projects, some of which have been quite demanding.
    We've been taken on as future department managers or leaders in our chosen fields of expertise. All going well, within the next five years I'll be looking for a role at one of the company's sites within the supply chain area that has a degree of responsibility and management.
    The logistics degree I did at Hull was very relevant to what Federal-Mogul were looking for, and my placement year, within a similar environment, helped. So to those considering the sector, I'd definitely recommend seeking out a sandwich-year course.

Graham Snowdon

guardian.co.uk © 2011 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

</img>
    </img>

More...
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X