• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RNRB question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNRB question

I am an executor for my mother's estate. She lived happily in Scotland with my father who is still alive and also an executor. They shared the same home for more than 50 years until her recent death, both working to support the home. The home is however in my father's name only. They were advised that this would be fine, but then Residents Nil Rate Band was introduced. Her estate will pass to my father, and later we can assume it will be inherited by me and my siblings including the home.

If my mother had had joint ownership of the home, her RNRB allowance would pass to my father and be added to his own RNRB allowance along with the basic inheritance allowance. As things stand this would mean potentially an extra £70,000 saving in tax on the inheritance when we come to deal with my father's estate. Since she did not part own the home it looks like we could miss out on her share of RNRB. If my father had died first we would have enjoyed the full allowance for both.

The question is, can we include half the home in my mother's estate for the confirmation, even though it was not in her name, in order to get her RNRB allowance passed to my father in the future?

We have not yet appointed solicitors as the estate is very simple apart from this point, and we would otherwise be capable of dealing with it ourselves.
    Last edited by Phil1234; 18th January 2021, 15:40:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X