• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discretionary Trust Tax Pool - HMRC's calculator produces wierd figures - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discretionary Trust Tax Pool - HMRC's calculator produces wierd figures - help!

Hi All. As a Trustee of my father's Discretionary Will Trust, I'm ok with the basic concept of the Tax Pool, but don't understand one particular aspect. Using HMRC's Discretionary Trust Tax Pool Calculator, I entered the following:Tax Year 17-18, No of Trusts = 1, Other Trust Income (available for discretionary distribution): £100, Net Payments made to Beneficiaries : £24.45. The response from the calculator is: “Tax Pool available before Payments to beneficiaries : £20, Tax Pool surplus/shortfall (after making the distribution of £24.45) = £0"

As trustee, from this I understand that I may only distribute £24.45 of the income to the beneficiaries, and the amount of tax that I as trustee will pay on the £100 is at most £45.

So from the £100 of income if we subtract the distribution of £24.45, and the maximum (albeit unlikely) tax paid of £45, it leaves £30.55.

What do I do with this remaining £30.55 of income? Can I distribute it without an accompanying tax credit?

And what's HMRC's reasoning in allowing only £24.45 to be made available for distribution from £100 of income?

thanks...

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X