• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Issue with Thames Water old bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Thames Water old bill

Hello.

I am posting on this forum as we are currently facing an issue with Thames Water and were wondering if we could get your advice.

We are 4 working professional, leaving in london, renting a flat from a private landlord.

I am the oldest tenant leaving in this flat, as I moved in February 2011.
    By that time we never had to pay any Thames Water bill (we never received any, and this is true that we did not ask anything about it, assuming maybe the landlord was directly paying for it)

From February 2013 (this year), we started receiving invoices from Thames Water, asking us from April 2011 until Jan 2013, for a total amount of £1297
    They have my name on the invoice only (I think they found it by the electoral registration form I filled in 2012), the other flatmates who filled the form by that time are now gone anyway.

I tried to contact them and explained them that the current people are happy to pay a pro rata of the bill (which is I think £700 of the bill).
    I passed this to our landlord, who even sent them a detailed schedule of all the people who lived in there during that period (we have individual renting contracts), but Thames Water want the full amount of the bill to be paid. Which means we have to pay more than £500 for people who left the flat (most of them back to US / France or we don’t even know…). Our landlord does not want to pay that.

One last thing is since then, we started to pay bills (we have paid the bill from jan 2013 to may 2013, and may 2013 to nov 2013) so they can see we are willing to be honest and pay

What do you think ? What should be do ? is there any recourse ?

1. We found the below on the internet, is it applicable ?

"From the 1st July 2006 where the supplier has been at fault in not billing a domestic customer the supplier will not send a bill which includes energy consumed more than 2 years previous to the bill being issued. From 1st July 2007 this period will reduce to 1 year"

2. We never entered into a contract / signed a paper / received a bill before January – March 2013

The last concern I have is that it’s my name on the bill, and I am worried about my credit check, as I am now considering buying a flat in the UK (we are being chased by collection agencies)

Thanks for your help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X