• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent Help Needed: Keeping an untaxed vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Help Needed: Keeping an untaxed vehicle

Hi, I'm having issues in regards to a court case which was heard in my absence in December 2014. To me the story is quite confusing but I will try to be as concise as possible.

On 3/8/2015 I received a letter from Marston's Group informing me that I had an unpaid fine which I previously had no idea about. They demanded I pay the princely sum of £860.53 within 14 days or face having my possessions removed to pay for the fine.
    After calling Marstons for 2 days straight and receiving nothing but a busy tone I enquired with the local courts to see if anything had been heard in my name. Eventually I found out that a case had been heard with the offence (as I understand from the clerk) of 'keeping a motor vehicle without tax' and tried in my absence with a fine of £550 levied against me. With Summons and the like having been sent to an address I vacated in 2013.

I will admit that the vehicle was kept without tax but not with any kind of unlawful intent, I wished to dispose of the vehicle but was having difficulty arranging collection due to my work patterns. The vehicle was untaxed and could not be taxed because of the lack of an M.O.T. I could not SORN the vehicle as I had nowhere 'off road' to store the vehicle. I attempted to contact the DVLA at the time to get advice on what to do but they were very unhelpful. I was issued a Fixed Penalty Notice (which was paid) by the local police. And informed the local council that the vehicle was not abandoned.

I have begun the proceedings to make a statutory declaration which will take place in 7 days time. It is my understanding that it is likely I will be asked to enter a plea on that day. I understand the DVLA usually offers a settlement of this matter outside of court (which I would have been more than happy to take). What I would like to happen in an ideal world would be that the statutory declaration is made but I was hoping there might be some way to settle the matter outside of court as I am concerned that the conviction resulting from a guilty plea would affect my ability to practice as a healthcare professional and affect my prospects at a job I have recently applied for.

I have spoken to the DVLA who advised me to speak to the court.
    The court weren't sure.
    I sought legal advice, the solicitor advised me to request an adjournment before plea (something I would have to do via email ASAP) contact the DVLA with a groveling letter and reasons why it would be in the public interest to settle this matter outside of court. However as I said the DVLA said to speak to the court.

Also, in searching the trust online website I could find no record of the case?

Has anyone had any experience of similar situations or any information which might help me in making my decision?

Any help at all would be appreciated!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X