• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used Car Dealership - Right to Repair Woes (within 6 months)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Car Dealership - Right to Repair Woes (within 6 months)

Hi guys,

- In December 2020, bought a car from a small dealership. The car came with 6 months warranty from a third party company.
    - The week after the car went into limp mode and there was a ticking noise behind the dashboard. The next day, it was out of limp mode and the ticking noise disappeared after a few days. For peace of mind, I took the car in for a full service to ensure there were no issues.
    - Two faults were spotted - the rear washer was leaking so the pump needed replacing and the car required a brake fluid change. I informed the dealer of this back in January but given the COVID lockdown, took no action.
    - A few weeks later, my minimum oil light came on - sure enough, all the oil was consumed. Thought this was weird given the very minimal mileage I've done so went to top the oil.
    - From then to March, my car use has been absolutely minimal. In mid march, I drove from London to Essex to collect some furniture - and the oil light came on again! I started to think there was an issue with the engine (e.g a leak somewhere).
    - In April, I took it the car in to change the brake fluid and also check whether there were any oil leaks - they didn't find anything.
    - I drove for the first time on the motorway last week from London to Birmingham. During this drive, my tyre warning lights came on about tyre inflation - at this point the ticking noise returned. I also checked my oil before the drive and after. As I expected, the engine consumed most of the oil.
    - I called the warranty company and booked the car in for a check.
    - The issues spotted by their approved garage was 1) oil breather valve in the engine needed replacing - this is causing the excessive oil consumption 2) rear washer pump needed replacing and 3) motor which powers the air con is faulty and requires to be fixed. Total cost is £700. The warranty company have refused to cover these items as they are covered by the policy (currently in dispute with the warranty company about this)

I've messaged the dealer to give an update and requested that he fixes the issues. He's telling me these items are "wear and tear" items.

Does CRA protect me in anyway here?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X