• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old/incorrect address, lengthy battle to Valuation Tribunal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old/incorrect address, lengthy battle to Valuation Tribunal

Hi all,

I wanted to share and/or ask for useful tips about my council tax battle with Southwark.

This started a few years ago, when I received a bailiff notice for an old address that I did not recognise. The date for this bill goes back to 2006. I tried to get more info from the council regarding this bill and got nowhere. They just could not give me much info, except to say that I needed to pay. After getting nowhere with them, I decided to contact the Local Government Ombudsman, who agreed that their tactics were unfair and awarded me £200.00 and asked them to respond to me in full details.

I again got further letters from bailiffs about this bill, with the Council just blatantly ignoring their promises to myself and the LGO. So, I returned to the LGO, who again sided with me and awarded me another £100.00.

Southwark finally started responding and sent me a letter with the 1st page of a tenancy agreement bearing my name, that I had apparently sent to them when I moved in into this place in 2006. However, the address on the tenancy agreement is different from the one on the bills that I have been getting. Although they have the same street name and postcode.

I wrote to them to ask them to clarify this discrepancy and to provide me with a signed tenancy agreement.
    They failed to explain the discrepancy and provide me with a signed agreement.

But since I pointed out the discrepancy, in their correspondence to me, the address in question has been changing ever so slightly to try and get it as close as possible to the address on the tenancy agreement.

I am now due to go the Valuation Tribunal to determine whether I should be paying this bill.

What are your thoughts on this situation? And how would you advise I approach the Valuation Tribunal?

I have never had to deal with this sort of dispute with the council so any feedback/tips would be welcome.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X