• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scaffolding problem on Private Right of Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaffolding problem on Private Right of Way

We own the private road that we live at the end of.

Driving onto the private road from the busy main road the entrance is very narrow with no splay area and buildings on both sides. On the right are two old cottages and on the left a single storey old stone building (gable end on the main road then approx 20 m long stone building right onto the access road) which has recently been sold and is being refurbished as a beauty salon. (This is where the problem lies as the builder wants to put up scaffolding to work on the roof).

The access road then gets wider and passes two new houses on the right and then ends at our property also on the right – so all in a straight line. We have no insurance on the private road. The entrance is tricky at the best of times and our neighbours have large vehicles and there is nowhere safe to park around where we live should we have to close the road. The builder just says the scaffolding will be narrow and won’t affect vehicles coming in and out.

The entrance is 3m at its narrowest and 3.5 at its widest. I am extremely concerned about the safety of people using the access road on foot eg postman, deliveries, visitors and also vehicles. I feel we are also vulnerable with no insurance (I am in touch with our home insurers). The builder maintains the scaffolding will only be there for 6 days but there has been no maintenance done on the building for many many years and once it is up, I can imagine it remaining there for months. I have told the builder I can’t give permission for the scaffolding as we have no insurance and I’ve asked him to sign an Agreement about time limits, cleaning up etc which at the moment he seems reluctant to do.

I have allowed him to put a skip behind the building on a small area of road which we also own and which is not part of the Right of Way, mainly to keep the skip off the very busy main road. I thought this would be for a couple of weeks whilst the building is being stripped but we are on to the third skip and also have building materials piling up.

The circumstances for the builder are very difficult but I am extremely concerned about the safety risks but am not sure on a way forward. Should I contact HSE, Environmental Health or would it be a mistake involving them.
    Last edited by JDC578; 30th April 2024, 06:18:AM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X