• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VRR (Victim's Right of Review) 5 months after an interview which ended in NFA?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRR (Victim's Right of Review) 5 months after an interview which ended in NFA?!

Question: Can police allow a VRR (Victim's Right of Review) 5 months after NFA, with outcome due 7 months after NFA?

Background:

On 26th January 2023 I was arrested and released NFA after 10 minutes of questioning.
    (More details are in my previous post about handcuffing.)

However, it's been VERY hard work to get my data which I applied for in early Feb '23.
    Most of it came, however, on 15/05/2023, I got an unwelcome email. Here's the timeline:

26/01/2023 Arrested, handcuffed, released NFA
    13/02/2023 - SAR lodged.
    .... endless chasing, phone calls etc. Eventually Body Worn Video and recording of interview arrived. However...
    26/04/2023 - I flew out of country on holiday.
    28/04/2023 - Link to evidence sent to me via site I could not access abroad. Link expired before I returned so I let them know.
    15/05/2023 @ 16:25 - "I shall be sending you the link again in the next few hours."
    15/05/2023 @ 18:46 ....

"Upon reviewing the crime report and identifying that the investigation is still ongoing, I am withholding disclosure until the investigation is complete. I am informed that this may take up to two months. If the investigation results in a prosecution, then you will receive full unredacted copies of all evidence via the court process. If no prosecution follows, then you are entitled to redacted copies.
    Similar information came when my objection to the handcuffing was rejected:

"From review of the crime I am aware that the investigation has been subject to VRR [Victims’ Right to Review], subsequently the decision to NFA has been ruled incorrect and investigation resumed".
    The VRR guidelines state the following,

9.3 If proceedings are to be commenced following review, the suspect should be advised. Suspects should not be made aware of the victim’s request for a review during the review process or in cases where the original decision is upheld.
    Therefore the police have breached the guidelines twice anyway! And if the email from 15/05/2023 is correct, it could be July before I know if they're going to prosecute for the thing I was NFA'd for in January (accidentally clicking "like" on a Youtube video my 12 year old son had made, apparently in breach of a restraining order).

Local solicitors all busy and I'm extremely frightened. The reason I am particularly anxious right now is that the school are about to send my ex yet another warning letter about our son's high unauthorised absence rate (I have no contact with him).
    Every time the school do that, she makes a police complaint about me to distract from it, and I am so stressed about what might be coming next I've taken unpaid sick leave from work to get this sorted (I have a 1-month sicknote from the doctor).

In case you couldn't tell, I have (formally diagnosed) ADD, which makes all this even harder to cope with.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X