• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Local authority - care home fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local authority - care home fees

My mother and stepfather lived in the same house for 40+ years. She went into care beginning of 2022. He lived there until July 2022.

I had some contact from the LA about her care fees back in about August. I explained I was trying to work out ownership details of house (not registered with Land Registry) and track down the title deeds.

I've not found them - I have a horrible feeling my stepfather lost them in the big clear out which he did when he wasn't feeling too well last few months.

LA have now sent me a form for a deferred payment agreement that they are talking about from 12 weeks after stepfathers death being the starting point. I.e. 16 weeks ago. This has come out of the blue. I don't recall ever asking for this.

Firstly - whilst the ownership of the house is being sorted could this even be set up? I can't see how there would be a 'willing buyer' in this case. Also she stopped receiving attendance allowance when she moved in - but it they try to charge back dated not sure I could even recover the missed benefit.

Any clues on what I should be asking/what help should I try and get most appreciated.

She was paying something each week due to her pension (about a 1/3 of the fees) and they have issued bills up until this point based on that and they all have been paid.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X