• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Somebody got married using my identity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody got married using my identity

I'm hoping someone can help with advice on what I can do to correct this:

In 2003, somebody stole my identity and got married in my name for the purpose of immigration marriage fraud. i found out about this in 2005 and reported it to the police, however the case was eventually closed due to a lack of evidence.

Recently, in the process of getting married to my partner I found out from the General Register Office (GRO) that I am on their system as already married. I have contacted the GROs marriage casework team regarding my situation and received the following response:

'We are unable to comment on the validity of a marriage where one of the parties may have assumed the identity of some other person and may have used false information to marry. However, our view is that it is the person who marries and not the identity and therefore the impersonator would appear to be legally married under English law as long as both parties had the capacity to marry and on the date of that marriage was using your details for that marriage'

They further advised me to:

'petition the courts for a Declaration of marital status under section 55 of the Family Law Act 1986'

However, after a google search on this act I'm not sure it applies to my situation.

I'm at a total loss as to what course of action I can take, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X