• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Travel expenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel expenses

Hi all - please can anyone help?
    My daughter is in her final year at university. She has 3 placements a year for which she has to use her own car to travel to and from a set place of work. She drives there in a morning, parks-up and the car remains there until she needs to return home. She has fully comprehensive insurance which covers 'commuting to and from a paid place of employment'. This cover has always been sufficient in previouse claims for expenses and having spoken with the insurance provider they have also confirmed that should she have an accident whilst commuting that she would be covered. The university is now insisiting that all students have 'business cover' on their car insurance and will not sign off travel expense claims without it. My daughter has finished her recent placement but after having put in an expense claim form for over £200 (which she has had to pay out of her bursary money) her tutor is now refusing to sign the form because her insurance policy states she is not covered for 'business travel'. The insurance provider has insisted that she is covered but the university refuse to accept this and the only way her expenses will be signed off is if she provides evidence of business cover. The insurance company is happy to provide something they do not consider that she needs for an extra cost of £240 p.a which she cannot afford but cannot do this retrospectively in any case. The NHS claims form states that "I confirm that where I make a claim for expenses as result of using my own motor vehicle, this use has been authorised by my training institution, and that my motor insurance policy covers all relevant claims and costs and that no liability is placed on the institution or on any NHS body". Nowhere does it stipulate that 'business use' is required. I have to admit that she did not ask for authorisation prior to this placement as having completed 7 previous placements using the same details with no problem she assumed that this authorisation would continue. Any advice as always will be gratefully received. Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X