• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Being denied the right to street trade as a pedaller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being denied the right to street trade as a pedaller

When I asked Manchester City council about street trading on “high street” they said it was not permitted as its a prohibited street
    https://www.manchester.gov.uk/direct...ce_and_consent

So I asked her what where all those people doing selling from a trolley on market street and I was told that they are not “street traders” they are peddlers and have peddlers certificates to trade

I asked Stockport council about peddling a push cart trolley on there high streets and they said it was no permitted as its a permitted street for “street trading” and other streets out of that area I would need a “street traders licence”

I said I am not a “street trading" by your definition (as set out in there policy) I am peddling. So I asked why I can not pedal on your prohibited streets in your street trading policy (Section 3 Designation of Streets). As this policy would appear to apply to street traders only as I see no mention of peddlers

https://assets.ctfassets.net/ii3xdrq...olicy_2016.pdf

All they said is they regarded a peddler as someone who goes to peoples houses to houses

I showed them the Pedlars Act 1871 and it states

3 Interpretation of certain terms in this Act. “Pedlar”.

In this Act, if not inconsistent with the context, the following terms have the meanings hereinafter respectively assigned to them; that is to say,—

The term “pedlar” means any hawker, pedlar, petty chapman, tinker, caster of metals, F2... or other person who, without any horse or other beast bearing or drawing burden, travels and trades on foot and goes from town to town or to other men’s houses, carrying to sell or exposing for sale any goods, wares, or merchandise, or procuring orders for goods, wares, or merchandise immediately to be deliveredF3...;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/34-35/96

And asked them if they considered someone who travels and trades on foot and goes from town to town if they considered them to be a peddler and they refused to comment!

What do you think?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X