• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insolvency advice (slightly different from the usual)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insolvency advice (slightly different from the usual)

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Please excuse any incorrect terminology, hopefully I’ll get the general gist across without sounding like too much of an idiot!

I’m asking for some advice on behalf of my mother. She was made director (Non-executive?) of my grandfather’s company while it was doing well in the mid 80’s, although she had very little actual involvement in the running of the company or took any share of the profit. My grandfather’s company went bankrupt due to him (he believed) being mis-sold a debenture mortgage that he was then unable to pay off after interest rate rises (possibly related to the rate rigging scam, but that’s another issue entirely). This was back in 1991, and my grandfather died shortly after the bankruptcy so my mother was never kept in the loop as to whether the debts were all repaid. As she also did not update her contact details with Companies house after moving to a new house, so she’s never had any correspondence from them.

She recently decided to look in to the issue with the missold mortgage and discovered she was still listed as director, but that the company was due to be dissolved in August this year. She is worried that if she makes herself known to Companies house then she might be liable (as the sole remaining listed director) for any remaining debts. However, if she doesn’t make herself known then she will potentially lose any chance to investigate the possibility of the missold mortgage, which is something that she would like to do to try and obtain some justice for what happened to my grandfather and his business.

So essentially what I’d like to ask is; what would be the risk of her making herself known to stop the dissolution process? Could she end up having to pay off any remaining debt, despite her lack of involvement with the company. She has no assets to her name and has never take any profit from the company when it was operating.

Any help with this would be much appreciated, by both of us.

Kind regards
    Chris

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X