• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My wife had a major aneuryism and has huge cognitive damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife had a major aneuryism and has huge cognitive damage

I have to care for her full time..do everything for her. We rent and I am worried about getting a new place. I have one CCJ and some defaults outstanding..due essentially to the accident etc
    Does anyone know if I applied to get the CCJ removed...since they sent it to an old adddrtess that this is a sufficient reason...also if the company I owe would be symathetic to settling for a lot less, We are benefits and likely to be going forward. Any advise gratefully received. Thanks Tom
    Tags: None

I'm sad that you have to go through this, but you have to be strong, I think things will work out soon.

Comment

How long ago was the CCJ issued?

Comment

2018 just after she had her brain injury...it was at a previous address...do you think if I applied I could get it set aside on that basis...since the injury means she couldn't have paid it in time nor disputed it? Any advice would be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Tomw View Post
          2018 just after she had her brain injury...it was at a previous address...do you think if I applied I could get it set aside on that basis...since the injury means she couldn't have paid it in time nor disputed it? Any advice would be appreciated
          You should definitely contact the creditor to see if they will write off the debt under the circumstances, (if not except a token settlement figure, something you can manage to pay i.e.£50). Also ask they consent to removing the CCJ, send a Doctors letter with dates.

Send the following: - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...debt---letter/

You have evidence that when the CCJ was received, your wife suffered a brain injury and couldn't pay or dispute the CCJ,

You will need to complete and send a completed N244 form to the Court.

There is a court fee for setting aside a County Court Judgment. However if you have the consent of the claimant or did not receive the court claim or any court notice, there is a reduced fee.

You might be able to get help with fees, if on certain benefits etc.

It might be an idea to review all your debts, ask if they can be written off under the circumstances.
          Last edited by echat11; 12th September 2021, 08:56:AM.

Comment

deleted

Comment

How do I use the N244 form to ask for the CCJ to be set aside?

If you want to apply to set aside a CCJ, you’ll need to fill out an N244 form (pdf). If you’re unsure about how to fill out the application form, you can use these N244 guidance notes (pdf) to help.
              • The application fee is £255, but if you’re on a low income, you can apply to get help with court fees
              • In the form, you’ll need to explain that you want to set aside the judgment and the reason why
              • If you didn’t respond to the original claim form the court sent, explain the reason for this. If you delayed applying to set aside the CCJ after you found out about it, you should also explain why
              • If you dispute the amount claimed, for example because the balance is wrong, or the debt was already statute barred before the claim was issued, explain this and include photocopies of any documents that support your argument

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                How do I use the N244 form to ask for the CCJ to be set aside?

If you want to apply to set aside a CCJ, you’ll need to fill out an N244 form (pdf). If you’re unsure about how to fill out the application form, you can use these N244 guidance notes (pdf) to help.
                • The application fee is £255, but if you’re on a low income, you can apply to get help with court fees
                • In the form, you’ll need to explain that you want to set aside the judgment and the reason why
                • If you didn’t respond to the original claim form the court sent, explain the reason for this. If you delayed applying to set aside the CCJ after you found out about it, you should also explain why
                • If you dispute the amount claimed, for example because the balance is wrong, or the debt was already statute barred before the claim was issued, explain this and include photocopies of any documents that support your argument
                Thank you.

Comment

If both parties consent then the fee is £100

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You should definitely contact the creditor to see if they will write off the debt under the circumstances, (if not except a token settlement figure, something you can manage to pay i.e.£50). Also ask they consent to removing the CCJ, send a Doctors letter with dates.

Send the following: - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...debt---letter/

You have evidence that when the CCJ was received, your wife suffered a brain injury and couldn't pay or dispute the CCJ,

You will need to complete and send a completed N244 form to the Court.

There is a court fee for setting aside a County Court Judgment. However if you have the consent of the claimant or did not receive the court claim or any court notice, there is a reduced fee.

You might be able to get help with fees, if on certain benefits etc.

It might be an idea to review all your debts, ask if they can be written off under the circumstances.
                    Thank you very much for these suggestions

Comment

Thank you very much for these suggestions

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X