• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marlin, Cabot and Mortimer Clarke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin, Cabot and Mortimer Clarke

Hi I am hoping for some advice

I had a credit card with HSBC some time ago which was defaulted in 2010 ( i think) approx £7k
    I ignored all chasing and it finally got passed to marlin. I did not engage with Marlin at all until one day they sent me a letter offer settlement at £1500. I immediately paid this and confirmed i had accepted this offer, however i tried to pay over the phone first and they said something about an error so i hung up and paid online. I cannot find any of this paperwork now and even my emails are long gone from then. I think this was 2014.

All was quiet for about 3 years and i thought it had gone away. In the last few months i have been getting letters from Cabot, who i assume have now bought the debt. I have been ignoring these up till now. They have also been calling but i have them blocked.

Last week i received a letter saying that they would be referring me to Mortimer Clarke and last night i had a voice mail from Mortimer Clarke

Clearly this isn't going to go away so am after advice on how to deal with it now. I don't want to end up in court!

Balance is about £5k now. I have £2k i could offer as a full and final or i could set up a payment plan.

However, i do feel they gave me an offer i took before but no longer have any paperwork for it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hello

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the general rule of thumb is to keep all correspondence etc. for a minimum of 6 years, which is the limitation period whereby creditors can pursue you through the courts. More importantly, you should keep records of transactions and payments for that period from when that payment was made otherwise you could land yourself in situations such as this.

Did you physically delete the emails from your account (have you double checked?) or do you no longer have access to it?

Also, do you remember the bank account you used to make that transaction and is it still a live account? If not, when did you close it down? Are you absolutely certain that a payment was made?

Amethyst might be able to confirm, but I think Cabot bought Marlin at some stage? Either way your best bet is to make a subject access request to Marlin/Cabot and see what information is held about you. A SAR should also be sent to your bank for copies of statements and other information they hold to verify that the payment was in fact made.

Failing that, it would seem based on the background you provided, any claim would be statute barred.

I have a couple of template subject access request letters if you click on the link in my signature its under the Data Protection sub-heading.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your response

I still use the email account, it just doesn't seem to go back that far, i have contacted the provider to see if they can assist. I had copies on a laptop, which unfortunately no longer works, should have saved them elsewhere.

Bank account still live and i could find the transaction on there

Payment was made December 2014, which i think means its not statue barred unfortunately.

I can send a SAR to Cabot will get that done now.

Does anyone have any idea of what they are likely to settle for? i would like to just get it done and move on really

Comment

Hmmm definitely the SAR to Marlin. And to HSBC for that matter.

Have you sent a CCA request to Cabot ? I'd do that now too.

I'd then write to MC and say you settled in full and final in Dec 2014 with Marlin ( enclose your bank statement showing the payment ) and inform them you have sent a SAR to Marlin, HSBC and a CCA to Cabot, asking them to put the account on hold while you obtain documentation in order to consider your position with regards the debt.

Then once you have that info and if it doesn't back up your understanding of the f&f settlement, and If you want to negotiate start at 25% and work up to your maximum ( 50% with £2k now and £500 in installments )

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

In that case, I think you need to take steps to locate that payment transaction around December 2014. If the bank account is still live, then why not pop into the branch and get them to verify that a payment was made for that sum of money. If that is the case, ask for them to print you a copy of that month's statement (sometimes they charge but if you are polite enough they might email or print for free).

Always bear in mind that for civil claims, judgments are made on a balance of probabilities meaning that you do not need 100% proof of all emails and transactions that confirms you settled the claim back in 2014, you just need enough evidence to tip the scales 51% in your favour. If you can show that there was a transaction made to Marlin for that sum of money and Cabot are unable to provide anything to the contrary, it is plausible that a judge may find in your favour.

Difficult to say what they might settle for, maybe Amethyst can comment on that but I would think at least nothing less than 50% of the amount that is allegedly owed - best case scenario you may be able to get this down to 30% in full and final settlement.

I wonder perhaps how Cabot have calculated this amount to be owed and whether they have factored in the £1,500 payment you've made. I think it might be best to not make any remarks about that until your position is clearer and you have the evidence you need, but that shouldn't stop you from finding out how the amount is calculated - hopefully the SAR should shed some light on that.

When you say the laptop no longer works, is it repairable? Also depending on the make and model, it might be possible to take apart the laptop and assuming there is a hard drive which still works, you could remove that and potentially access your documents via another laptop.

Also, for future reference I tend to use the 3-2-1 rule when it comes to important documents which you may want to consider:

3 copies are made
          2 different media forms e.g. physical paper, USB memory stick, DVD, cloud storage etc.
          1 backup off-site e.g. cloud storage or other media forms held somewhere else at another premises.

That way, you should always have access to the information you need anywhere you are. If using cloud for storage, you should make sure it is encrypted i.e. password-protected with a strong password before uploading it.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

thank you both

SAR and CCA request are on way to Cabot.

i will send a SAR to HSBC to today.
            Are Marlin still about? I was under the impression they were now owned by Cabot? if not i will send them a SAR as weel

my concern was giving them the opportunity to prove they have the CCA may mean they are less likely to settle

Comment

Marlin are Cabot now, yes, so the SAR to Cabot should cover it.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I have now recieved a letter from MC and it has given me the option to request so i have ticked and returned and also advised that Cabot have a SAR and CCA request already

They also encolsed a statement that confirmed the payment in December 2014 and the amount they are now chasing does not include that

Comment

Just wanted to update
                  Cabot have today confirmed that i paid a full and final in 2014 and they will be closing the account

Comment

That's good to hear, seems something got lost in translation between Marlin and Cabot - it's a good job you pointed it out to them.... they've obviously checked their records and agreed they should have closed the debt off.... hopefully that should be the end of it
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X