• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot / Mortimer Clarke - Threatening Letter ( i think )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot / Mortimer Clarke - Threatening Letter ( i think )

Good Morning All,

A few years before I met my current partner - she had ( i believe a joint egg loan with ex husband ) and they split up and she could not afford it,
    With an agreement between whoever and Citizens Advise, they agreed on £1 a month which she has been paying via standing order all this time, with none missed

fee weeks ago we got a letter from Cabot saying account being moved to Mortimer
    1st "welcome" letter from Mortimer saying cancel standing order with cabot and start paying us ( mortimer )
    2nd letter, you need to pay us or we will seek court as you have had CCJ on this,

NO, my wife has not and never had any form of CCJ on this account.

I told her to stop paying years ago and we will go via sar route, bue she didnt want to as she was happy paying £1 a month and they still never get all their money
    What is owed is shy of £5,000 which is mostly charges and nonsense, surley shes only liable for half.

Not only that, we successfully got a few hundred quid PIP claim from the current owners of egg, last year.

I want to try and get his written off, as its gone on too long, theyll never get their money, and their letters are very threatening and they are lying about CCJ.

I have a cheque from from wife ready to send for £1 and will be writing to them seeking further info.

Would you like me to post the letters here, withholding sensitive data ?

Does the fact my wife has been paying £1 a month to cabot affect anything ?

She is very worried

Regards
    Q
    Tags: None

ever sent a CCA1974 request for the agreement which may not be enforceable? no worry she has been paying them but is the alledged agreement enforceable?
    CCA Request

Comment

Hello, Thank you for your reply,
      I have no idea, not ever done a CCA Request for this no, never actually done one yet... is this the one for £1 or £10 ?
      Do i write to Mortimer Shark or Cabot

Edit : Just read the link ( cheers ) ill get a letter printer and i already have a chq signed by the missus for £1

Also, She says the name on account should be in her maiden name and they are writing to her in her previous marriage surname, does this matter ?

Regards
      kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar911 View Post
        she had ( i believe a joint egg loan with ex husband )

. . . . surley shes only liable for half.

I want to try and get his written off, as its gone on too long, theyll never get their money, and their letters are very threatening and they are lying about CCJ.

If it was a joint loan then your wife would be both jointly and severally liable for the debt meaning she can be pursued for the whole amount (as can her ex-husband).

If a CCJ has been obtained in the last six years then it would have been registered so she can search Trust Online to see if it’s there. I would first ask Mortimer Clarke Solicitors for evidence of any CCJ. which they say exists.

If there is already a CCJ then a s77-79 CCA Request won’t be applicable post Judgment since they are not obliged to comply with it.

Check for the CCJ before you do anything else. If it exists then the debt owner might seek enforcement action if the payments cease.

Di

Comment

Hello,

We have checked her credit file in 2017 for the hell of it, when i did mine too - and there is no mention or nothing on there referring to a CCJ,
          She has never had court letter, never seen a Court Notice, never attended court, there is no and has never been a CCJ towards her. This is where lthey are lying.

her credit file, is 100% clean and a good score,
          Last edited by Quasar911; 1st May 2018, 10:04:AM.

Comment

CCJs only remain on your credit file for six years from the Judgment date. Could this have happened in 2011 or before (you say her credit file was checked in 2017).

Ask Mortimer Clarke for details/clarification but perhaps stop short of calling them liars in correspondence unless you want to exacerbate the situation especially since you say your intention is to get the debt written off which would require negotiation.

Di

Comment

Hi, thank for reply,

so still send a CCA letter with £1 and in same letter as for proof of CCJ ?

update : i just text missus for more info,

She states :

This is over 10 years old
              she was paying £50, then 20, then 10 and upon agreement with Citizens Advice, it was agreed to £1 due to hardship etc, and thats how its been for last 5 years or so.

Thanks
              Q

Comment

so still send a CCA letter with £1 and in same letter as for proof of CCJ ?
                Q
                A CCA Request would be sent to the debt owner (Cabot?) but it would be meaningless if there is already a CCJ which is why I suggested you should establish that first with Mortimer Clarke Solicitors.

You say your wife has never received a court claim so is there a possibility that it may have been served on an address where she wasn’t living at the time?

If that were to be to be the case then your wife may be looking to have the CCJ set aside. That’s why you need to establish if it exists first and foremost.

You raised the issue of the debt being in her married name when it should be in her maiden name (or previous married name?). Are all her previous names linked to her CRA file as this could be another reason the account wasn’t visible when you checked (if the names aren’t linked).

Di

Comment

Yup, all her names are linked, I shall write to mortimer now, asking for proof and clarification of the CCJ, when, what address written t, what name etc, and how much etc etc,

ill get this end recorded delivery to mortimer

Comment

update : i just text missus for more info,

She states :

This is over 10 years old
                    she was paying £50, then 20, then 10 and upon agreement with Citizens Advice, it was agreed to £1 due to hardship etc, and thats how its been for last 5 years or so.
                    Q
                    You've updated your post since I posted.

If the debt is from 10 years ago then the account would have been removed from her CRA file six years from the date the Default was registered regardless of whether your wife was paying or not.

If there was a CCJ within the last six years then that would be showing on her CRA file. If it was before 2011 then it won’t.

When she says the debt is over 10 years old does she mean she opened the account in 2008 or that the account defaulted in 2008?

Di

Comment

i have written : is this ok ?

hername
                      heraddress
                      her postcode

Dear Mortimer Clarke Solicitors

Re your letter : 26th April 2018 : Ref xxxxxx

Thank you for you letter.

Your letter states that I have an outstanding balance under a County Court Judgement, of which I do not recognise,

Please can you clarify and provide evidence of this County Court Judgment.
                      Date this was issued ?
                      Address Issues to ?
                      Name issues to ?
                      Amount issued for ?

It is important for you to provide all original evidence of mentioned County Court Judgement.

Please respond within 14 days by postal mail. I will not be accepting telephone calls or emails from your selves,

Kind Regards
                      hername

Comment

Di Wrote
                        When she says the debt is over 10 years old does she mean she opened the account in 2008 or that the account defaulted in 2008?

I am not sure, i will have to ask her later on.
                        Il send the letter to them anyway ,yes ?

Comment

Your wife needs to know the claim number, date issued, and the date of the Default Judgment (i.e. CCJ). That's enough for her to obtain a copy from NCCBC assuming this was a Default Judgment.

She shouldn't ask/tell/hint at things that they might not know which could help them pursue this debt.

If she mentions the potential for a different name on the claim/judgment then she'll have alerted them to something which could be a problem to them (if they seek to enforce) so they then may take steps to remedy any flaw.

If this was a joint loan then the claim should have been against both her and her then husband named as 1st Defendant and 2nd Defendant. From what you say they are only chasing her so perhaps they are unaware. Don't make them aware.

Is there a possibility that the claim was served on her ex-husband's address and he either unsuccessfully defended it or didn't inform her so there was a Default Judgment?

You say this is your wife's debt so my suggestions may not be relevant if the information you have posted on the forum in inadvertently incorrect.

She needs to be involved in the contents of any letter you send to the solicitors which is 'signed' by her.

Di

Comment

Brilliant, Thank You I am hoping this will ease her worries, before the next step.

Comment

What i do know, is, her ex husband at he time took the loan out, and "cleverly" put her name first in the application. They lived together, he walked out and lumped her with all the debts, there is NO mention if 1st defendant or 2nd Defendant, just my wife's name,
                              Last edited by Kati; 1st May 2018, 12:06:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X