• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overlimit Fees - Barclaycard formerly Egg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlimit Fees - Barclaycard formerly Egg

I had an Egg card which is now a Barclaycard. Previously I tried to claim late payment charges and overlimit charges via FOS to be told that Egg had proved that their charges were costed correctly etc etc. Again this charge by Barclaycard has been refused on the same grounds. However, I am questioning the nature of the overlimit charge - this is an online account paid off in full at the end of the month. At the time of a cardholder present transaction I have no knowledge of what the balance os actually is at that precise moment and I do not get any message to say that I am approaching my credit limit etc. However, with any other credit card if I was making a transaction which would exceed my credit limit then the transaction is simply not authorised and I am immediately alerted. So it seems that Barclaycard have continued the Egg practice of using the overlimit charge as an easy way of increasing revenue

I assume that my only option is court claim - wondered if anyone else had gone this route for the Egg charges with any success and what POC they had used. Do I do this in the name of Egg for Egg charges or Barclaycard for the whole lot given that they would appear to be operating the same terms as Egg?
    Tags: None

Re: Overlimit Fees - Barclaycard formerly Egg

Sadly I fear you'll be wasting your money. It is your responsibility to ensure you do not go over your limit. Regardless of whether or not they, or others let you, you have to take responsibility for your own actions and finances.

PersonallyI would put it down to a learning experience and be more careful in future.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but there's no easy way to say it really. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
      Sadly I fear you'll be wasting your money. It is your responsibility to ensure you do not go over your limit. Regardless of whether or not they, or others let you, you have to take responsibility for your own actions and finances.

PersonallyI would put it down to a learning experience and be more careful in future.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but there's no easy way to say it really. :beagle:
      As this is an online account things aren't always that straightforward unless you access account before making each transaction which isn't possible whilst standing in a shop

I agree about personal responsibility but the fact remains that Barclaycard could do as other card providers do and simply not authorise the card which alerts to any problem which could be fraud or overlimit etc - they don't - just another money making tactic

Comment

The fact also sadly remains that you are capable of keeping an eye on your own spending. I sympathise with your plight, but I don't think the authorities will at all.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X