• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute Barred Debt Just appeared on CRA

Collapse
Loading...
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Statute Barred Debt Just appeared on CRA

    Evening all,

    As you can see from one of my other posts, I may have been a bit irresponsible with debts...
    BUT

    This one with Vodafone, I didn't owe them money, I told them I didn't, I refused to pay, they refused to budge. I don't recall exactly but I believe I canceled at the end of the contract but they kept trying to charge me.

    Anyway, I checked my report at the end of last month and it says now defaulted 28/01/2022 whereas before, it said 02/06/2015 (see screenshots). It dropped off my report in June last year and reappeared in the latest report.
    The debt as far as I'm aware is statute-barred. I haven't contacted them since refusing to pay almost 7 years ago so I'm certain it's SB.
    We are intending on buying a house this year and I expect this to be a problem.


    I raised a query but I was given what looks like a canned response to call them.


    So, before I waste hours on the phone with them, any advice?



    Attached Files
    Tags: None

  • #2
    An update regarding this...

    I spoke to their social media teams who said they couldn't find my account and ended up calling. I only have my name/dob/address, no account number or phone number as I don't recall what the number was...

    Anyway, I called again today as the credit record team don't work weekend and I spoke to a total of four people. They eventually found an account but it doesn't link to a credit account.... and they can find no other accounts. I argued that they found it earlier in the year to put a new marker on my credit record and now suddenly they can't find it.

    They suggested I raise a dispute with Experian asking for an account number or phone number. The last time I raised a dispute, Vodafone replied saying to call them to discuss.... no reference numbers or anything.

    So that's where I am at the moment.... waiting for Experian now. I'll send a SAR for good measure.

    Comment


    • #3
      a) Send them the following template to get the information corrected, make sure you get Proof of Postage.
      You might have to send a follow up after this depending on their response.

      https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...ata-corrected/

      b) Send a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

      https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        a) Send them the following template to get the information corrected, make sure you get Proof of Postage.
        You might have to send a follow up after this depending on their response.
        https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...ata-corrected/
        b) Send a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account, make sure you get Proof of Postage.
        https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/
        Thanks for getting back to me.
        Firstly, Experian was most unhelpful. I had the following reply from them:
        "I do hope you understand that due to our strict data security, itís now our policy to keep all account numbers private.
        Vodafone should be able to share these details with you. You can contact them here:
        Vodafone : Quality Assurance Department, Vodafone Limited, Shelton Boulevard (Off Forge Lane), Festival Park, Etruria, Stoke On Trent, ST1 5GP
        I really appreciate your understanding as you can imagine, data security is incredibly important to us."


        I sent A today.
        I've already done the SAR, and they have acknowledged...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by victormotris View Post
          Thanks for getting back to me.
          Firstly, Experian was most unhelpful. I had the following reply from them:
          "I do hope you understand that due to our strict data security, itís now our policy to keep all account numbers private.
          Vodafone should be able to share these details with you. You can contact them here:
          Vodafone : Quality Assurance Department, Vodafone Limited, Shelton Boulevard (Off Forge Lane), Festival Park, Etruria, Stoke On Trent, ST1 5GP
          I really appreciate your understanding as you can imagine, data security is incredibly important to us."


          I sent A today.
          I've already done the SAR, and they have acknowledged...
          That's good, just update the thread when you get responses from them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by echat11 View Post

            That's good, just update the thread when you get responses from them.
            I did also send the SAR and have received it. I've not even opened it...



            So sorry I didn't get back to you... been a crazy few months. This is now resolved and I will explain below what happened. (excuse the lack of exact details, I'm not very good at remembering them...)

            I received an email back telling me my name didn't match. Whoops... I changed my last name years ago. I sent them the deed poll and I received a call from a lady in their credit complaints team or something like that. She asked for a solicitor's copy of the deed poll and didn't seem to know that's not how they worked... anyway, I explained and things progressed. She said she would look into the complaint and keep me posted.

            A week later, I was called again to advise that they found my account and there was an issue/glitch that caused the default to be re-entered on my credit report.
            She has corrected that and it was removed by the next time my Experian report came through.


            Glad to get that sorted and it was quite straightforward. I really don't get how they couldn't originally find my details but as soon as I raised the complaint, my details were found.

            Cheers for the help on this, it doesn't seem like a common thing from the searching around I did so I'm willing to accept it as accidental.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by victormotris View Post

              I did also send the SAR and have received it. I've not even opened it...



              So sorry I didn't get back to you... been a crazy few months. This is now resolved and I will explain below what happened. (excuse the lack of exact details, I'm not very good at remembering them...)

              I received an email back telling me my name didn't match. Whoops... I changed my last name years ago. I sent them the deed poll and I received a call from a lady in their credit complaints team or something like that. She asked for a solicitor's copy of the deed poll and didn't seem to know that's not how they worked... anyway, I explained and things progressed. She said she would look into the complaint and keep me posted.

              A week later, I was called again to advise that they found my account and there was an issue/glitch that caused the default to be re-entered on my credit report.
              She has corrected that and it was removed by the next time my Experian report came through.


              Glad to get that sorted and it was quite straightforward. I really don't get how they couldn't originally find my details but as soon as I raised the complaint, my details were found.

              Cheers for the help on this, it doesn't seem like a common thing from the searching around I did so I'm willing to accept it as accidental.
              Thank you for updating the thread. Even though they say it was 'accidental' (covered by Data Protection) it caused you stress and you should be compensated for that. I would write back.

              Comment

              View our Terms and Conditions

              LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

              If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.


              If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X