• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contracts, Termination, Repudiation and Rescission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contracts, Termination, Repudiation and Rescission

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

..............Also a point to mention, s170 of the act bars any remedy unless provided for expressly by the act, this is said to also exclude the common law repudiatory breach, on the basis that its not prescribed by the act as being available for breach of s87.............
    Not trying to pre-empt the judgment but 170 refers to 'sanctions' not 'remedies'. Can not 'remedies' be argued as different to sanctions? Sanctions being penalties.

What I am trying to say is the creditor can still terminate and lose any further rights under contract without this being regarded as a sanction (i.e. penalty).
    They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
      Not trying to pre-empt the judgment but 170 refers to 'sanctions' not 'remedies'. Can not 'remedies' be argued as different to sanctions? Sanctions being penalties.

What I am trying to say is the creditor can still terminate and lose any further rights under contract without this being regarded as a sanction (i.e. penalty).
      playing devils advocate, but isnt recovery of monies paid a remedy to the debtor and a sanction to the creditor?

I think that the courts are likely to limit the scope of such arguments,
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

playing devils advocate, but isnt recovery of monies paid a remedy to the debtor and a sanction to the creditor?

I think that the courts are likely to limit the scope of such arguments,
        That assumes a debtor wishes to recover monies. All I wish is that I am required to pay no further monies.

Comment

That assumes a debtor wishes to recover monies. All I wish is that I am required to pay no further monies.
          my point is that the recovery of monies paid under a regulated agreement is only possible where expressly set out in the Act.

We ran a case which went to the Court of Appeal and the court took the view that while the agreement was unenforceable, the Defendants counterclaim for restitution was barred by s170

we had argued mistake but the Court said no, as the remedy wasnt prescribed by the act
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

my point is that the recovery of monies paid under a regulated agreement is only possible where expressly set out in the Act.

We ran a case which went to the Court of Appeal and the court took the view that while the agreement was unenforceable, the Defendants counterclaim for restitution was barred by s170

we had argued mistake but the Court said no, as the remedy wasnt prescribed by the act
            In the case you speak of in the CoA, were you claimant or defendant?

Like I said, as a possible defendant, I wouldn't require recovery any monies only injunctive relief against re-affirming the contract after a defective DN. Which is allowed under 170(3).

Comment

In the case you speak of in the CoA, were you claimant or defendant?

Like I said, as a possible defendant, I wouldn't require recovery any monies only injunctive relief against re-affirming the contract after a defective DN. Which is allowed under 170(3).
              we were Defendant, we counterclaimed using the common law doctrine of mistake, but the Court said common law remedies, were not available due to the statute preventing them

Id just say, wait til the High Court judgment comes out, it shouldnt be long,but it really puts these arguments to bed.

Comment

If for example you have lost in court and have had a CCJ awarded against you, when decisions are made in the court of appeals, is it possible to go for a set aside based on the new decisions?
                Also, if you couldn't afford an appeal but in the light of these new decisions, is it worth getting transcripts of your cases?
                Hope this makes sense and thank you

Comment

Hi

This is more interesting.
                  I see no reason why an account cannot be terminated , if the agreement embodies a term allowing it.
                  I also see no reason why an account cannot be transferred to another party, terminated or not, indeeed they frequently are.

The question is can the agreement be enforced and liablitiies under it recovered.

The answer is, no they cannot for that to happen there needs to be a default and the notice giving time to remedy, as per statute.

Contry to some oppinion an agreement can be terminated at any time if the contract says it can the creditor can even demand payment, he cannot however enforce that demand.

The reason the creditor can unilaterally terminate an agreement is because the debtor gives him permission to when he signs the agrement which contains that facility in its terms.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterbard View Post
                    Hi

This is more interesting.
                    I see no reason why an account cannot be terminated , if the agreement embodies a term allowing it.
                    I also see no reason why an account cannot be transferred to another party, terminated or not, indeeed they frequently are.

The question is can the agreement be enforced and liablitiies under it recovered.

The answer is, no they cannot for that to happen there needs to be a default and the notice giving time to remedy, as per statute.

Contry to some oppinion an agreement can be terminated at any time if the contract says it can the creditor can even demand payment, he cannot however enforce that demand.

The reason the creditor can unilaterally terminate an agreement is because the debtor gives him permission to when he signs the agrement which contains that facility in its terms.

Peter
                    The High Court has ruled that you cannot terminate( which is enforcement per mcguffick) if the default notice is bad.

If it is bad it must be remedied first, and afford the debtor the time to remedy the breach

Comment

So what does this mean where the creditor has advised termination following a bad default notice (and even sold on the debt)? It may be a couple of years down the line, so potentially the arrears may be huge and the debtor is in a far worse position in trying to remedy as may have to fund a significant number of missed payments to remedy the arrears now owing.

Seems this High Court ruling is more bad news for debtors or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by cadwallader View Post
                        So what does this mean where the creditor has advised termination following a bad default notice (and even sold on the debt)? It may be a couple of years down the line, so potentially the arrears may be huge and the debtor is in a far worse position in trying to remedy as may have to fund a significant number of missed payments to remedy the arrears now owing.

Seems this High Court ruling is more bad news for debtors or am I missing something?
                        you cannot take the "next step" to quote Woodchester on the back of a bad notice

So there can be no termination on a bad notice

the statute sets out clear in plain English that the service of a default notice is a prerequisite to being able to terminate.

The High Court judgment is in favour of the debtor, trust me, very very much in favour

Comment

OK, thanks

C

Comment

you cannot take the "next step" to quote Woodchester on the back of a bad notice

the statute sets out clear in plain English that the service of a default notice is a prerequisite to being able to terminate.

The High Court judgment is in favour of the debtor, trust me, very very much in favour

Great help PT and info. Just my opinion is that this recent win/judgment will be in favor of the debtor, if they are or in any current litigation with their creditor/lender.

What I do not know is what impact this judgment will have on all those debtors whom have had their agreements/contracts terminated on the back of bad notices. I am sure that you have banged your head against the wall enough times in replying to this question but a question that hangs over many of us including myself............that is why we look forward to seeing the outcome of this judgment.

Thanks for giving so many hope :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

Great help PT and info. Just my opinion is that this recent win/judgment will be in favor of the debtor, if they are or in any current litigation with their creditor/lender.

What I do not know is what impact this judgment will have on all those debtors whom have had their agreements/contracts terminated on the back of bad notices. I am sure that you have banged your head against the wall enough times in replying to this question but a question that hangs over many of us including myself............that is why we look forward to seeing the outcome of this judgment.

Read more at: Legal Beagles Consumer Forum - Reply to Topic
                              I'm also very interested in this as I have a current claim against me with exactly this position. Defective default notice, letter stating termination and now claim gone in. What should be put as defence of this claim?

Comment

Hi

Yes indeed a default termination must be proceeded by an effective default note. however the agreement can be terminated at ay time if there is provision in the agrement for it(none default termination).

The key factor here is enforcement.

Peter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X