• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Grocery Shopping: the tips thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Shopping: the tips thread

I was shopping in Tesco this morning and was watching the pennies very very closely(not that I am a tight git but because it's a necessity at the moment). They have a 3kg bag of pasta penne for £3.20 yet their own value brand of 500g is 29p so I bought 3kg for just £1.74 a saving of £1.46.

This year is expected to be a very tough year so when you're doing your weekly shop, think about some of the things that will both save you money and beat the prices of bulk food and share some tips on here like the above.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: Grocery Shopping: the tips thread

Something we ALWAYS do is firstly shop at Asda as that is the one that consistently tops the cheapest supermarket charts (and it's our nearest!)

More relevantly when we see offers we buy in bulk where possible (-eg- the big jars of Nescafe Gold Blend we always buy when they're two for £6 rather than one for over £5). Similarly with other things we use a lot of that are expensive - washing powder, toilet paper etc...

Also worth considering the sites that sell stuff that is near or just past its Best Before date. Use By dd/mm/yyyy means that. Best Before means it's at its best up to that date, but perfectly safe to eat afterwards. There's quite a few of them on the internet nowadays.

Comment

If you use of Kitchen Towels--what we do is go to places like Eurocell amd buy rolls about 18 inch wide that the window fitters use--about £7-ish

They last for ages & ages and are not dusty either like some---about £7-ish

Always say you are getting em "for your builder" to ensure best price

Comment

I positively refuse to go for lower quality loo rolls, its Andrex with Shea Butter for us all the way (and they match the colour scheme in my bathroom too), but I must admit I do tend to stock up with them when they are on special offer in Tesco.
        Like Turbs I also stock up when the special offers are on too, especially the Coffee, Tea and other higher priced items, we buy the 3 for £10 deals with the meat, I have now switched us over to vegetarian mince, its usually a lot cheaper, there's no fat at all so healthier too. I never buy lamb from supermarkets as its nearly all killed the halal way and I am totally against it, so if I want Lamb then its the farmshop for me. I also am a fan of the BOGOF's as long as its something that I can store in the freezer or in the cupboards and the sell by date is a long way off.
        The girl that works for us is a big fan of the 99p shop and she reckons she can save a lot each week by stocking up on basics in there.
        Last edited by Sapphire; 1st January 2011, 15:51:PM.

Comment

Don't forget to time you shopping trips right, as in towards the end of the day, and go for the reductions.
          Not only does it save you money, but it tastes better
          I whole heartedly agree with Casper on the best befores.
          Approved food is a great place to stock up your cupboards and make huge savings.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
            I positively refuse to go for lower quality loo rolls, its Andrex with Shea Butter for us all the way, but I must admit I do tend to stock up with them when they are on special offer in Tesco.
            Totally with you there Sapph! We will not compromise on quality of loo roll or coffee and I'm allergic to most washing powders. Unfortunately the one I know I'm safe with is also one of the most expensive, hence bulk buying when on offer.

Also, and this may seem a strange one, if you live on the South Coast, it might be worth every couple of months popping over to France for certain things like washing powder as it is much much cheaper there and you could easily save more than the cost of your ferry crossing if you buy enough.

Another tip, though erring from groceries, plan ahead and Buy Online - nearly everything is a fair bit cheaper on-line.

And with groceries, if you're one of those people who pick things up as you're walking along, thus increasing your bill, shop online as the delivery charge will probably be less than the extra stuff you'd have bought.

Comment

Also, if buying in bulk, make good use of your FREEZER.
              If you don't have a small chest one then get it.

Least that way you can take full advantage of BOGOFF's and cook things like simple sauces in bulk.

Comment

Some other tips related to grocery shopping:
                1) Make a list
                2) never go when you are hungry cos you'll buy useless stuff

Comment

if you are self employed then you may be able to get a bookers cash and carry carry card which will give you considerable savings on many things . These are especially good on paper goods

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                    if you are self employed then you may be able to get a bookers cash and carry carry card which will give you considerable savings on many things . These are especially good on paper goods

Cosco is another good saver but beware VAT if it's not included in the price.
                    If you have a few neighbours or friends it is good idea to get yourself a little coop together when buying from these places as bulk is the best buy. Split the stuff betwean you then you don't have to live on baked beans for 2 years lol

Comment

I try not to take OH or daughter with me - I spend much less when I'm on my own.

Tesco Express has great reductions, usually around 6pm and 9.30pm. Buy it and freeze it.
                      Is no longer here

Comment

Go to food shops that only sell food and toiletries, else you can't help picking up irrelevant tosh and getting bored before you get to the food section (or is that just me?)....
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

If you have a decent one near you, make good use of a decent market. We buy masses of fruit and veg every week from one in Cardiff and never spend mmore than £7 or 8. In a supermarket it would literally cost £25+.

Also eat what is in season as it's cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                            If you have a decent one near you, make good use of a decent market. We buy masses of fruit and veg every week from one in Cardiff and never spend mmore than £7 or 8. In a supermarket it would literally cost £25+.

Also eat what is in season as it's cheaper.
                            http://eatseasonably.co.uk/what-to-eat-now/calendar/

The above link goes to a calender which shows which fruit and veg is in season and which one is not....

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                              Cosco is another good saver but beware VAT if it's not included in the price.
                              l
                              That's right, although the VAT is included in smaller font underneath, you tend to focus on the clearer non VAT price.

Costco is good for branded products and for stuff you wouldn't usually find elsewhere. Membership is worldwide and I bought my last laptop in a Costco in the USA which was almost half the price than Costco UK.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X