• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Particulars of claim in a small claim against a builder - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Particulars of claim in a small claim against a builder - help!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and super grateful to anyone who can help me. I've searched to no avail for the answer to this and Citizen's Advice seem to be impossible to speak to at the moment so was hoping someone on here might be able to help...

I'm looking to file a small claim against a cowboy builder, having tried for 6 months to get money back for over 11k worth of works (initial contract was for 16k, the amount it cost to fix and complete what he had done was 11k after taking away the money left owing him for what he had 'completed' - we had unfortunately been paying him in instalments).

I'm eager to get things moving and am piecing together all the evidence. Problem is, there is loads! I have a grid with every issue (21 pages long by itself), then appendices (invoices, quotes for correcting the works, receipts for materials, photos of the issues, a log of every single message and conversation) and videos, as well as the original agreement (which isn't signed - was sent by email). It would be well over 100 pages of documents once printed. I'm trying to figure out whether I need to file all of this with the particulars of the claim, or whether this is held back until later, if he defends the claim and the judge asks for it all?

I'm reading conflicting information everywhere - some saying you just state a summary of all the facts and others saying you include everything - so not sure what to do? We're hoping to file through MCOL.

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS. Also wondering how to keep the claim under 10k to make sure it stays in small claims (can't afford a lawyer) - should I say I expect to claim 'no more than 10k and then still include the whole detail of everything, even though it amounts to over 11k - and state that the figure claimed is 10k? And does anyone know if things like interest, compensation for time lost and court fees can be added on top, or are they included in the 10k limit? Not sure what to do there...

Thank you :-)
    Tags: None
  • This topic by DavidLusick has been deleted by EXC

Feel free to give is a call. www.legal-eagkes.org

www.legal-eagles.org

Suggest you don't Bluebeetle - this firm is in Philadelphia USA. I would worry about their attention to detail if they did not realize this is a UK only forum!

Comment

The Court Procedure Rules (CPR) part16.2 states the PoC must contain a concise statement of the nature of the claim;

Altho' concise it must be sufficient for the defendant to know what the claim is about so in your case I would think along the lines of describing, the parties, the contract and just that it was unsatisfactory workmanship.
      You can, if you wish, post up a draft of your PoC for scrutiny.

Your evidence and proof comes later.

Before laying out good money in a court case have you ascertained if he is in a position to pay you any monies awarded by the court?

If this is your first foray into litigation you might find these links useful:
      https://www.judiciary.uk/guidance-an...-civil-221013/
      https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...+web+FINAL.pdf

Comment

(CPR are actually the Civil Procedure Rules)
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

OOPS!.... as opposed to Criminal Procedure Rules

Comment

Hello Island girl. Who is bluebeetle firm and why do you suggest not to do business with them. Also, I was not aware this was a U. K site only. Does the site deal with law from U it States.

David - this site is not for spammers like you. No, it does not cover the law of U it States, whatever that may be.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

DavidLusick Hi - for all the reasons given by Atticus plus some other important ones ie you are supposed to be a top class law firm and yet a) cannot work out this is a UK site, b) do not appear to know how forums work or be able to read previous posts and c) the standard of English in your posts is poor. Other than that....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X