• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statutory Demand threat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory Demand threat

I received a letter of claim from a collections agency in December re an unpaid school debt from 4 years ago. I had felt my son was about to be expelled from a school he had been in for 11 years and moved him without giving a terms notice. I had had no contact re the debt since jan 17 and had largely forgotten about it if I’m honest. I responded to the agency and completed their paperwork, not committing to owing the money but asking for more info for example a copy of the signed contract and a breakdown of the £2k in charges added since. I had no response or acknowledgment but have instead received a letter threatening serving of a Statutory Demand issued under the Insolvency Act 1986 (Bankruptcy) unless payment is made within 7 days.
    I am at an absolute loss re this. I am not sure how to proceed or how to get the info I need and get more time to organise myself. For example, I am sure that the original contract was signed by my sons father too. He and I had a court order in place agreeing to split all fees although his rarely transpired.
    My financial circumstances have changed hugely for the worse in the last 4 years. I liquidated my business and I have no assets. I have no income beyond household expenditure.
    I do not want to be forced into bankruptcy and would like to manage this debt. Ideally I would like to deal directly with the school and come to an arrangement. I am feeling harangued and bullied by the collections agency. They are members of FCA but this debt isn’t covered by those rules. I can’t see what the point of them forcing bankruptcy would be. Any advice much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Tag Celestine
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi - sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem.

For a debt to be suitable for bankruptcy, it must be due and payable immediately. As this debt is aged, disputed and has had little communication, it could be suitable for a set aside application if you do receive a stat demand.

In the meantime, I would recommend contacting the school to discuss a more suitable resolution. Your lack of property ownership makes you unsuitable for bankruptcy and your finances will not achieve the desired result, so other options should be considered by school and debt collectors.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X