• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Proving postage of documents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving postage of documents

I have been accused of failing to furnish information and I am interested to know what evidence would need to be presented in court to demonstrate that, on the balance of probability, a document had been posted?

A simple log stating that a document was sent by first class post seems to be considered good enough when courts/police use the postal system, but the burden of proof seems to be far heavier on the public when trying to prove the same.

Clearly, a recorded/signed for postage receipt would prove it was posted, but I don’t have this. I am wondering if a scanned copy of the document sent (that is signed and dated - the document is a speeding NIP), together with a witness statement from a spouse supporting the fact that it was sent would suffice?

if not, what else would assist?

many thanks
    Tags: None

Minimum proof of posting is a Certificate of Posting given when you hand an item in at the Post Office for posting - you have to ask for it. Anyone can produce a letter/document and say it was sent.

Comment

A COP proves something was sent, but not what.

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post
        A COP proves something was sent, but not what.
        Neither does Signed For or Special Delivery. You would be unlikely to be sending payment for your vet bill to a request for info from the Court.

Comment

Recorded Delivery acts as both i.e:= Proof of despatch of letter ( and a signature acts as a response (proof) of the said package delivered and received by receipiant) , proof of posting is just that a envelope sent but no proof of receipt at the other end, == this is an ongoing argument people throw up BUT receipt of receipiant is final proof of delivery to the office or person>

Comment

Recorded Delivery was scrapped a feww years ago now and replaced with Signed For. The only tracking is done when the article is delivered and you may be able to see the signature obtained. The downsides are a lot are never fully delivered or signature obtained, the postman may have signed it - there are plenty tales online. Another scenario which crops up regularly is that most enforcement companies and some parking companies will refuse any correspondence that has to be signed for. Like it or not a CoP provides proof an article was posted and gives the postcode it is sent to on the receipt and according to the Interpretation Act this satisfies what is required and the article is thus deemed delivered within the apprpriate timescales.

Comment

The times when I used signed for for legal documents the letters are still waiting to be delivered after 4 years !!!! Signed for never seems to work.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X