• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What information can I ask the Coroner's Court to provide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What information can I ask the Coroner's Court to provide

Hello All

This is my first post here, having found the forum by search engine.

In the last couple of days I have learnt of the death of a close personal friend. She and I were in a relationship until I left the UK in 2005 for pressing family reasons. Since then, we kept in contact by occasional email - nothing too dramatic, just the odd joke email etc. I last heard from her in March 2010 but wasn't overly concerned as I knew that she'd moved on a to a new relationship and assumed that the contact would fizzle out at some point.

I am on a visit to the UK at the moment, and have discovered that she was found dead in her bed in May 2010. It seems as though she had ended the new relationship some weeks before (and is reported to have been OK with that), she had just been promoted at work, and was about to receive a windfall which she planned to spend on home improvements.

I'm led to believe that the Coroner's verdict was one of death by natural causes (I'm aware that she had an underlying medical condition) and there seems to be no suggestion that she took her own life, or of any foul play.

Yesterday I had a long chat with her father (who found her body having called to check on her) and he filled me in on some of the details.

There are one or two things about the circumstances he related to me that disturb me slightly.

In an effort to set my mind at rest, I did a little research with the help of the usual search engines, and gained the impression that the detail of the Inquest would be in the public domain. Hoping that reading the transcript and/or supporting reports would allay my concerns I rang the relevant Coroner's Court this morning. I was told that I could call to the court and collect a copy of the findings, but that there "wasn't really" any other information to be had.

This seems to be at odds with everything else I've managed to read on this subject. As the inquest is held in open court, shouldn't the records also be available? Is it necessary to present a request for this information in a particular format?

Any input or guidance would be most welcome.
    Tags: None

Re: What information can I ask the Coroner's Court to provide

Coroners, post-mortems and inquests : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Am not sure if the direct gov link will help with regards to coroner's court and their processes. I guess it will be a matter of what the coroner has found out if any witnesses were called and whether much of a transcript would have been needed
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: What information can I ask the Coroner's Court to provide

Thanks leclerc - I notice that the Directgov site provides a link to the independent INQUEST charity group (INQUEST - United Campaigns For Justice). I have sent them a message and I hope that they will reply with an authoritative answer.

I understand that there were witness testimonies given, and that there was an autopsy report provided. These are the key pieces of information that I'd like to acquaint myself with.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X