• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EPA strange question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPA strange question?

Hello all
    Bit of a strange one. My mother signed an EPA in 2007. At the time she asked the solicitor to hold the original in their safe. The solicitor went into administration in 2010. We received a letter from a separate set of solicitors saying that we should contact them if we wanted any documents returned. When we contacted them we were told that they held no documents in my mother's name. Recently I have been looking for the original of this document ( I have always had a copy) without success. Just on the off chance I again contacted the solicitor and they have now found the original. I said great, I'll come over and pick it up. They said that they will not release the document unless I provide them with a letter of authority signed by my mother and proof of both her, and my identity. The EPA gives me full power of attorney. So the question is what authority do they have they to do this. They have never been engaged by my mother and it was made clear at the time of the administration that the new solicitors were only holding documents and we're in no way taking over the firm?
    Tags: None

Re: EPA strange question?

Hi Newbiedoo

I wouldn't worry, I think they're just being ultra careful as they're obliged to be these days.

Does your mother have capacity and is the EPA registered?

Comment

Yes she does and it makes no difference whether registered or not.

Comment

What is your concern about producing the proofs they've asked for?

Forgive me, but it doesn't seem (particularly) unreasonable to me - after all, they have to be certain that they have the correct authority to release documents.

Though it is a bit belt and braces. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Hi.. I have no concern and have got the documents. My mum actually said ' I thought I already gave you permission to act in the document they have' As far as I can see reading the copy she has given me the authority and they have the original document. I can understand them asking for proof of who I am though.

Comment

I do see your point! You could insist - it just doesn't seem worth the hassle unless you feel really strongly about it.
            See what those more knowledgeable think.
            I wish you well x :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

The solicitors may be asking for confirmation, as the old unregistered EPAs could be revoked by a simple deed of revocation.
              From their point of view (remember this was not the firm you originally dealt with) the deed could have been separated from the EPA (it is 8 years old and been through a change of firm)
              and all they are doing is checking it is still in force.
              Maybe!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X