• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP Debt recovery Dept.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP Debt recovery Dept.

I am not sure if this is in the right place or if it should be under Social welfare & Health.
    My mother passed away 18 months ago and the DWP wrote regarding recovery of welfare overpayments. They are trying to recover Pension credits, Attendance Allowance Premium and Carers Premium.

As my mother had savings it is clear she should not have had the Pension credits. However as far as I can see Attendance allowance and carers allowance is not means tested. And my mother did need the care due to her condition and frailty.

Having spoken to the DWP; after being pushed from pillar to post and told to ring different departments I spoke to someone who said that mother was not receiving attendance allowance, but attendance allowance premium, which is means tested. And not carers allowance, but carers premium again which is means tested.

I have searched for these benefits and there is nothing I can find on any of the DWP or Gov websites which refer to this. Nor anywhere else for that matter. I do feel as though they are trying to bamboozle me and railroad me into repaying legitimate entitlements. Can anyone shed any light on these benefits please?
    Tags: None

Re: DWP Debt recovery Dept.

Attendance Allowance is not means tested neither is Carers Allowance but that is taxable and you can only earn up to £104 per week to be in receipt of it. It also stops when you claim your state pension although you may still be classed as a carer and therefore be entitled to Carers premium through Tax credits.
    The two premiums you are asking about would be included in the Pension Credit calculations, so if your mum was not entitled to Pension credits they will be reclaimed too.

You need to be sure your mum was not entitled too Pension Credits as there are 2 kinds Guaranteed and Savings.
    A bit of info about it is on this link http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...ension-credit/

Hopefully when you have read that you will be a little clearer and then I would ask the DWP for more information as to why and what they are claiming

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X