• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disposition of jointly owned property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposition of jointly owned property

I will be grateful for any help or pointers to further reading regarding the following:

Dick and Jane were married. They had no children. Each had one surviving parent. They owned property separately eg cars, computers, personal effects. They owned the house they lived in jointly. Each had a last will and testament drafted by a lawyer in 1980's stating: (paraphrased) If I die first then everything goes to my spouse and If my spouse fails to survive me by 28 days then assets will be liquidated and the proceeds given to my parents.

Dick and Jane were both killed in a road traffic collision. The interim death certificates issued by the medical examiner indicated: Dick died instantly in the vehicle. Jane died a few minutes later in the vehicle.(Widow of Dick). A criminal case against the other driver is pending CPS deliberations. Police advise defendant is not disputing responsibility. An inquest is pending the outcome of the criminal case.

An initial legal opinion indicates the proceeds of joint effects will pass solely to Janes parent. Clarification has been requested.

Under what situations does the disposition of jointly owned property not follow the wishes of the deceased as set out in the will and pass to one parties surviving relative?
    Tags: None

Re: Disposition of jointly owned property

Uni question?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No. Very real situation Wolf.

Comment

No. Very real situation Amethyst.

Comment

Hi Brijoco

You are wise to get expert legal advice, as with all legal documents the devil is in the detail.

From what you have said above, though, it would seem indisputably logical (cut and dried) that the assets should be divided equally between both parents as per the terms of the Wills.

Comment

Think your paraphrasing may have garbled the will!!!!!
            You have gone from Dick and Jane to I and my spouse, and aren't clear about what happens to each one's personal property/ jointly owned property.
            As MissFM says "the devils in the detail", and we ain't got that. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Thank you for your comments.

I have been looking for a way to post a copy of the clauses in question with names redacted. Is this possible?

In the mean time here is a transcription (names redacted) ...

3. If my wife, xxxxxx xxxxxx, shall survive me for a period of twenty eight days. then subject to payment of my first debts, funeral and testamentory expences, I give devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever situate unto my said wife absolutely.
              4. If my said wife shall predecease me or shall survive me but fail to survive for a period of twenty eight days, then I declare that clause three of this my will shall not take effect. and that the following clauses shall be read in substitution therefor.
              5. I give devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever situate unto my trustee upon trust to sell, call in and convert the same into money with power to postpone the said sale calling in and conversion thereof so long as he shall in his absolute disgression think fit without being liable for loss.
              6. My trustee shall hold the net proceeds of such sale calling in or conversion and my ready money (hereinafter called "my residual estate") upon the folloing trusts:-

Looks to my untrained eye that the trusts should be executed by the trustee. Is this view overly simplistic?

Comment

Can I ask why it has to be so precise and complicated? Each to their own of course but I can foresee nothing but legal wrangling and solicitors getting fat pay packets.

Comment

I agree Inca - sometimes it's tempting to think that solicitors use such dense and impenetrable prose just to stimulate a further income stream for themselves.

Brijoco.. who is the Trustee and what the terms of the Trust?

Sometimes the terms "Trustee" and "Executor" are interchangeable.

Your quotation above doesn't mention who would be the beneficiary(s) in the event of the spouse not surviving 28 days... as Des8 has said, it's impossible to give any worthwhile opinion without further details.

Comment

The trusts:-
                    6(1) Upon trust to pay there out my just debts, funeral and testamentary expences.
                    6(2) Upon trust as to both capital and income as to my residual estate for 'fathers name' and 'mothers name' or the survivor of them provided always that if the said 'fathers name' and 'mothers name' shall both predecease me leaving a child or children then such child or children shall take by substitution and if more than one in equal shares the share of my residuary estate which the said 'fathers name' and 'mothers name' would have taken had they both survived me.

Clause 1 revoked all previous wills
                    Clause 2 assigned the solicitor who wrote the wills as trustee and executor

The trustee/executor who wrote the wills in 1986 emigrated and was recently located living abroad. Authority to act has been passed to a local solicitor.

Comment

A testator sets up a trust.

He appoints a trustee who is charged with implementing the terms of the will.

The beneficiaries receive the benefits.

Probate court monitors the trustees.

Simple, but you would be surprised at what can arise when money is involved

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X