• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No will

Hello, if a married couple were to die at the same time without leaving a will, would their children inherit in equal shares? 2 children together (aged 2 and 5) and husband has one son from a previous relationship (aged 15).

Really just the house that would be left with small amount of joint savings.
    Tags: None

no. The older child not being the son of both complicates things.

You should each make a will.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your answer. Would it automatically be split 2/5 to both joint children and 1/5 to husband's child?

Comment

No. Make wills. What's the problem?

Is this a student question?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

To avoid a lot of typing read here https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/103859

Comment

atticus no, it is a personal question. I can't currently afford to pay the £400 I've been quoted for a will to be written.

I've been told that I can't use the basic free will through charities as it's more complicated but wasn't advised why it was complicated.

We werr going to try and write it ourselves but obviously don't have the required knowledge so I just wanted to know where we stand if we both passed away.

Comment

des8 thanks so much! This explains it perfectly. Husband is younger so all three children would inherit equally.

Comment

... unless H dies first.

To illustrate this, imagine both die in a car crash - that is what people may say, but there is more to it than that. H dies at the scene, but W only dies in the ambulance on the way to hospital. The deaths are not simultaneous, the 'commorientes' rule does not apply. H, although younger, has died first.
                Last edited by atticus; 10th January 2023, 09:38:AM.

Comment

Yes. Thanks for explaining it all. So if it can be confirmed who died first then it will be split either 2 ways (if W dies last) or 3 ways (if H dies last).

But if it can't be confirmed then it would be split 3 ways as husband is younger than myself.

Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry one last question...what kind of will would you suggest we need to get once I can afford it?

If we both died at the same time we would like our estate splitting in half... my half would go to our two children and husband's half would go to our two plus his son from previous relationship.

Comment

This is not intended to be obtuse, but you would need wills that will reflect your wishes. You and H would need to discuss these with the solicitor to make sure that documents are prepared that accurately reflect and implement your wishes.

Comment

Yes I understand that. Would it be mirror wills we needed? Thank you.

Comment

No, in that as you say in post #10 your wishes are not identical: they are not mirror images of each other.

Comment

OK thank you for all of your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X