• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Partner has no will has a chance of passing away and becoming intestate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partner has no will has a chance of passing away and becoming intestate

With regards to Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 what is likely to happen in the scenario below, which I will describe as concisely as possible?

1)My partner has a chance of passing away. He has not made a will and i'm not sure he really wants to as he has a strange characteristic around control of money, yet during a rather unpleasant phase in hospital, when he was informed it wouldnt go to me, he did declare he wanted it all to go to me and signed a piece of paper, which obviously isn't enough. I believe his intent was honest at the time.
    2)He is still legally married to his estranged wife and their kids of around 18 years.
    3)Neither side has made any contact in 18 years.
    4)He owns half of our house, in a joint equity release scheme, which says I will inherit his half upon his death.
    5)He has a non-joint bank account and possibly some premium bonds and a car

I am also legally married but estranged for 18yrs, with no children to current cohabiting partner or previous marriage. I only get a lower rate state pension and am quite dependent on him.
    I own the other half of the house via equity release. We have lived in it for 18 years approximately.

From what i've been reading, upon his death without a will, his estranged wife and kids would all be priority and i would be able to apply for provision.
    Am I wrong?
    If I'm right, is there a fair percentage I could expect of his "non-house related" assets due to our length of time together etc?
    Can they contest the half house clause in the equity release?

Also, if he was going to be able to write a will , would it be better for him to make some provision for estranged wife and children, after all its been a while and the children certainly weren't at fault for the seperation?

Short of a will, is it possible for him to make attempts at partial wills, ie trying to make the effort with perhaps limited ability?

Please advise.

Tags: None

You have the structure about right, but may be over-optimistic.

He should make a will. Half a will is no will.
    The situation is complex with several variables. He rally needs direct professional advice from a solicitor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X