• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Checks wrote to me by deceased father

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checks wrote to me by deceased father

My dad recently passed. He had lived with me the last two and a half years of his life. He has no will or executor and the only thing he owns is a car. Before he passed he gave me an envelope and told me to not open it until after. When I did I discovered to checks he wrote out to me that are predated. One is for $100000 and the other $30000. USAA bank which is a national bank but the other is from an out of state account. He also has 11 kids of which not many have anything to do with him. My question is since they are predated and wrote out to me can I take them to my bank for deposit or will that get me into legal trouble? Thank you for any advice
    Tags: None

Condolences on the loss of your father

As this is a UK site our advice might not apply in the USA.
    Over here once a person passes away his bank account is frozen and checks cannot be cashed.
    You would need to present them to the person who sorts out your father's estate and ask for the value from the estate as it is settled.
    You are basically a creditor.

However might be slightly different your side of the pond!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X