• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pension death benefits for children and ex-wife as legal guardian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension death benefits for children and ex-wife as legal guardian?

My late brother has a payment from a pension scheme of which his minor children are beneficiaries. I'm told that that his payment falls outside of his estate/Will of which I'm named as the executor and trustee of any proceeds on behalf on his children. (This Will also mentions that his ex-wife and the mother of these children should not benefit from his estate).

I've been told by the pension company that the payment has to be made to the children's legal guardian (his ex-wife and their mother). Is there any way to ensure that this amount is paid in to the main trust for his estate, where his ex-wife can't just spend the payment as she wishes? Or anything that could be actioned to ensure that the funds are held until the children reach 18?
    Tags: None

Unusual for pension death benefits to be paid to the child's guardian.
    Normally, in my experience anyway, the pension fund arrange for a Deed of Settlement to be drawn up and for trustees to be appointed to look after the money until the children come of age.
    If there is a trust fund already set up there is no reason why* the death benefit should not be paid directly into the Trust bank account.
    They will need to see documentary evidence of the Trust bank account to include the title, sort-code and account number (eg a letter from the bank on their own headed paper). For building society accounts they would also need the roll number.

I don't think the position has changed over the past few years since I was involved in life & pensions so perhaps WRITE back to the pension company and argue your position.

Comment

Thank you for the insight and advice.* I also spoke to the Pension Advisory Service and plan to write to the trustees at the pension company.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X