• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance and benefits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance and benefits

Hi,
    A friend of mine is about to get an inheritance. He works the minimum of 16 hours per week and claims benefits. His solicitor has told him that he can drip feed my friend his inheritance so that it doesn't stop him claiming his benefits because he won't have enough money in the bank at one time. This didn't sound right to me so I'm just wondering whether this is legal, or some kind of loop hole? Or whether down the line this solicitor could get them both in trouble!
    Thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

Your friend is the owner of the money and would have to declare that ownership on the forms. He would be the one liable to penalties.

Comment

Your friend, as a beneficiary has an immediate right to all the funds in his beneficence, on finalising the estate account. Meantime, the executor of the estate, can make a series of interim payments, pending finalisation. However, that comes with strings attached, i.e. the executor can call for the money to be repaid, if the final account requires it.

I think I have that right.

So, the question becomes whether the funds paid over are simply a loan, which may extinguish when the estate accounts are finalised, and if so, is that 'loan' deemed to be capital?

Comment

If the solicitor is holding the funds in trust, the solicitor is the owner of the funds which are for the benefit of your friend.

The matter is not straightforward, trust law is complex.
        If the solicitor is advising your friend I would act on the basis he, the solicitor, is correct.
        If later there are problems, your friend might have a claim against the solicitor for professional negligence

Comment

You may find this useful.
          https://assets.publishing.service.go...of-capital.pdf

Comment

Hi as Des8 mentioned there are possible ways of dealing with this by way of a discretionary trust although it is complicated. He needs to get some formal advice from the solicitor to clarify what is actually being suggested here. If your friend has debts to repay these could be settled with the inheritance which may then not have such an impact on his benefits.
            If the benefits are affects then once the sum has reduced he can reapply although I appreciate this can be a lengthy process!
            If the inheritance is over £16k his benefits will be stopped until that sum is reduced. Below that amount the benefits are reduced by an amount for every £250 over £6k there is in savings. This link may help explain it more clearly https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...ffect-benefits
            I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X