• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

apportionment of legal fees between an estate's beneficiaries

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • apportionment of legal fees between an estate's beneficiaries

    My sister and I will receive the residue of our mother's estate but the biggest share of the estate goes to our brother. The solicitor is charging all legal and accounting fees against the residue of the estate. Therefore our brother makes no contribution towards these costs. Is this correct?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    It depends what the will says.

    If it says your brother is to receive a fixed legacy,say £10,000, or 'the house', then he will get exactly what the will says.

    If you and your sister are residual beneficiaries then I am afraid you get 'what is left' after all the other estate costs have been paid off.

    (Residue - that which is left of an estate after payment of debts,charges and legacies)


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm