• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will of relative who has lost mental capacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will of relative who has lost mental capacity

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this.

My Grandma has recently gone into a care home due to her no longer being able to look after herself. In 2015 my brother who was looking after her stole 20k from her bank. This was covered by the local press who named and shamed him and quoted my grandma as saying she will have to remove him from the will for stealing from her. She has never got around to doing this and my brother looks set to still receive a large amount from her.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? She is not able to make decisions for herself anymore so she hasn't been able to make the change to her will despite her saying she wants him removed.

I'd appreciate any advice
    Thanks
    Tags: None

If someone lacks capacity application can be made to the court of protection for a statutory will made by the court on their behalf, or a codicil to an existing will..
    If no one holds an LPA for your grandmother, the court will appoint a deputy to make the application.

Tagging Peridot for you, as i'm sure she will know more about the process

Comment

Originally posted by jd0963 View Post
      Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this.

My Grandma has recently gone into a care home due to her no longer being able to look after herself. In 2015 my brother who was looking after her stole 20k from her bank. This was covered by the local press who named and shamed him and quoted my grandma as saying she will have to remove him from the will for stealing from her. She has never got around to doing this and my brother looks set to still receive a large amount from her.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? She is not able to make decisions for herself anymore so she hasn't been able to make the change to her will despite her saying she wants him removed.

I'd appreciate any advice
      Thanks
      It will depend on her mental capacity - if capable of understanding what is required - if not then other ways to deal with situation - let me know

Comment

Is it possible that grandma relented and deliberately chose not to alter her will? if so, that was her choice to make, regardless of what you think about it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X