• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halting grant of letters progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halting grant of letters progress

I’m helping a friend out with his late mother’s affairs.

She died intestate in 2014 and due to ill health he did nothing about applying for grant of letters of Administration. He started this in July but it’s all too much and for various reasons he wants to stop the process. He’s I’ll and is having some investigations at the moment. I’ve read about renouncing his role as executor. Can he do this? How can he slow the process down or stop it completely?

Thanks for any help.

Rupert J
    Tags: None

Hi RupertJ,

Sorry I've only just seen the thread. So how far down the line is your friend. Does he actually need to get a Grant to administer the estate. Are their assets such as a property and bank accounts with more then £20k in that need dealing, or is inheritance tax payable?

If a Grant is needed who else would be in a position to take it on? Are there other family members? The issue there may be is the fact that what is known as intermeddling may have taken place, put simply some bits have been sorted and others not so it can be a bit of an ask for someone else to be appointed to unravel what has happened to date.

If you could give us a little more information about the estate and the types of assets that there are to deal with, we may be able to point him in the right direction.

I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Hi thanks for the response.

Hes is the only heir. He has appointed a company to take on the grant. There is no inheritance tax, but more than £20k. There is a property and financial investments and a few debts to pay off.

Comment

Glad he's got someone dealing with it or is it he want to stop them too? To be honest I’d be inclined to leave them to it. They can do it all, for a fee of course but at least it’s done then and he should only need to sign a couple of documents and have the oath sworn.
        would he be able to cope with that do you think?
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X